HondaCivicForum.com

HondaCivicForum.com (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Internal (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/)
-   -   Bottom end build (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/bottom-end-build-61884/)

bcivic 03-04-2008 02:58 PM

Bottom end build

I am trying to build up my b16a motor for boost does anyone have any good sites/deals on forgedPistons Rods and Rings kits for stock bore/stroke and around 9:1 or 10:1 compression ratios. Any info would be great thanks.

bcivic 03-05-2008 12:41 PM

RE: Bottom end build

Also this might be a stupid question but I can't have the car apart for too long so to get new pistons rods and rings does the block have to be re bored or can I leave it the way it is. I really dont want to have to do a machining work on it. Any help would be great thanks.

drakkon 03-06-2008 10:34 AM

RE: Bottom end build

well that all depends on how the hash looks in the cylindar walls, the x patternt should be visible and should not show wear. if your going to build it for a turbo it is a good ideal to get it honed. if you dont, you could be looking at redoing the work over again. Boost puts alot of stress on the inside of the motor it can eat rings and pistons if there is a week spot in the seal between the piston and the cylindar wall, as the super heated gasses pass by the rings. if you end up with a broken ring you will be looking at a full bore sleve and rebuild $$$$.as the broken part of the ring will scar the cylindar and piston.you would be amazed at what can happen if somthing goes a littlewrong in the bottom end. ive seen cranks break and throw a rod through the oil pan or side of the block.

sounds like a bomb then the motor goes clatter clatterand stops spinning,

the ring seal between the cylindar wall and the piston is what keeps the piston in the proper oreintation so that is moves up and downand does not pivit latteraly in the cylindar wall if that sealisweakwhen the piston comes up in the compression stroke it can cause the piston to pivit latteraly and the skirt on the piston will make contact with the cylindar wallwhich can break parts of the skirt and upballance the motor,

if your going to go turbo bite the bullet and build it to hold the boost.re hone, have thecrankchecked for ballance get good rods, pistons and bearings. have the head compression checked if there is a week seal inone of thevalve seatsyoul have a burnt valve in less then 5k miles under boost.

to put it simply dont spend the cash on a turbo and not build themotor unless you plan on building a motor to replace the one that is in your car. there are exceptions to the rules.i see alot of ppl running boost on stock b16a's that are jdm motors with less then 30k on them. typicaly thoes motors will have good even compression and not require alotinternal upgrades to hold moderate boost.

my .02 any way probly alot of ppl here that would dissagree.