Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

budget b16a1 build. . . .

Old 01-25-2006, 10:48 PM
Default budget b16a1 build. . . .

Ok I need advice as to what parts I should buy to gain the most power out of my b16a1. I just got it into my car today and will be finishing the swap tomorrow actually! I get taxes and bonuses from work soon and by spring I should have about $2500-$3000 to spend on performance. I wanna for sure boost it. I was also thinking of a block guard for reliability and an extra pound or two of boost If I have a good tune, some gsr cams, skunk2 intake manifold, type r underdrive pulley, a ground kit, some ignition upgrades, free flowing exhaust/cat, and a good dyno/street tune. If I can afford it all, I have seen a lot of those parts on ebay for pretty cheap brand new from legit dealers. Any suggestions of what I should do?

Old 01-26-2006, 12:42 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: budget b16a1 build. . . .

i suggest rods/pistons/head studs/at very least block guard before any bolt on stuff since you intend on boosting.
some gsr cams, skunk2 intake manifold, type r underdrive pulley, a ground kit, some ignition upgrades
you would notice more of a gain turning the boost up on a stronger bottom end than going with those items for the time being. you could propably pull as much hp as the stated with just a really good tune. i do agree on the exh part though, you want that baby flowing

Old 01-26-2006, 05:45 AM

Look into sleeving the bottom end, youll be able to run a lot more boost with a sleeved bottom end with a stock head, than with stock everything. Golden Eagle and AEBS are good places to start looking.

Old 01-26-2006, 07:07 AM
HCF Member

depends on what kinda power your looking to make. You could prob get away with stock sleeves, just stay around 15 PSI, and get a good tune

Old 01-26-2006, 10:53 AM

I said I'm on a budget!!!!! LOL! Building my bottom would be expensive as hell, right?

I also thought if you installed a block guard in the upper part of the water jacket to stabilize the cylinder walls the stock engine would be fine with 9 or 10 psi? (with a good tune)

Are the gsr cams not worth putting in? What about the skunk2 intake manifold?

I wanna get as much power as possible with the money I have. My goal at the very least is 250 whp.

Old 01-26-2006, 02:44 PM
HCF Member

250whp can be done on a stock b16 with a good tune. its being done with sohc motors. building the bottom end would be expensive if your not taking care of the labor side yourself. i was under the impression that you would be doing the work yourself and is why i suggested what i suggested. in a boosted application you would be better off with adj cam gears on stock cams before going to gsr cams.

Old 01-27-2006, 12:08 AM

Ahhh. Like some aem or skunk 2?

Old 01-27-2006, 12:14 AM

yeah. All I've done myself is bolt-ons. I have never done any internal engine work. I don't have the tools or experience yet! Hopefully in the near future.

Old 01-27-2006, 08:09 PM

For a budget build, look at getting an ITR exhaust cam and CTR intake cam instead of the GSR cams. You'll see significant gains. And the underdrive pulley is definitely not necessary; same goes for the blockguard.

EDIT: I just noticed you want to boost it. In that case, scratch the ITR and CTR cams. But still, don't bother throwing your money away on an underdrive pulley and a blockguard.

Old 01-27-2006, 10:43 PM

Well bolt-ons are cheap, so I was going to get my hands on every bolt-on I can think of and boost it. Then I'd have a lot of power with a good tune without having to build the internals. I figured a block guard would able me to run a tiny more boost then without one, but they sound expensive to get installed. I would really like to see more then 250 whp come out of my b16 without building it. . . .Any other suggestions?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: budget b16a1 build. . . .