HondaCivicForum.com

HondaCivicForum.com (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Internal (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/)
-   -   Cam Gear, Lightweight Pulleys (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/cam-gear-lightweight-pulleys-72482/)

4DoorSedanMan 12-29-2008 08:23 PM

Cam Gear, Lightweight Pulleys

I got a 92 Civic LX Sedan with the factory 1.5L D15B7. I was thinking about upgrading the timing and the gearing but I didn't wanna rip the motor apart. I wanted to do the Unorthodox Racing (Ultra-T) Adjustable Cam Gear, and I also wanted to do the Unorthodox Racing (Ultra-SS) Over-Drive Lightweight Power Steering, Alternator Pulleys, with the Unorthodox Racing Under-Drive Crankshaft Pulley. What do you guys think about this?

ej6buddy 12-29-2008 08:27 PM

How built is your motor??? I thought so, it's probably stock. You don't want to change any pulleys or cam gears when you have a stock motor. If you want more power, go for basic bolt ons.

4DoorSedanMan 12-29-2008 08:33 PM

Well, not to long ago, I installed an AEM Cold Air Intake System, DC Sports 4-1 One Piece Ceramic Header, Magnaflow Direct Fit High Flow Race Cat, And A Full Magnaflow Cat-Back Exhaust. I was just curious as to what kind of HP/TQ gains I can gain with a Cam Gear and Lightweight Pulleys. I was also thinkin about havin the Cam Gear adjusted to (+2 Degrees) for a little low-end HP & TQ.

ej6buddy 12-29-2008 09:02 PM

All i'm going to tell you is I wouldn't, as will anyone else that will respond to this thread. Most aftermarket pulleys aren't correctly balanced for high horsepower applications. If you want more power, I will suggest a cam and springs, larger throttle body, and a tune, and maybe a port/polish with port matching. You're not going to gain that much more power from your d series without boost, which would make most of your bolton's useless.

jordanrw260 03-22-2010 08:39 AM

What about if you use the Unorthodox Racing Ultra SSc series which is the same size as stock and does not underdrive anything. It is just lighter in weight. Would this be harmful to the motor?

Lewy2k 03-22-2010 04:52 PM

It wont harm the motor buy wont really help when its stock other than bolt ons. All the stuff you have on the motor probably only gets you 7-10 hp. The cam gear would be pointless unless you upgrade the cam or have milled your head.

jordanrw260 03-22-2010 06:23 PM

I have a 94 del sol with b16a2, I was planning on adding I/H/E, and with the pulley set from unorthodox I was hoping it would add some more power. Does anyone else have these basic add-ons with a similar setup?

hairy5050 06-13-2012 10:50 AM

Can an adj. gear help fuel economy?

cvcrcr99 06-13-2012 11:13 AM

No. I seriously doubt fuel consumption will change.

moreMPGs 10-25-2012 08:09 AM

lighter cam gear = more MPG ?

Well an aftermarket (aluminum) cam gear is lighter in weight, so technically it should save gas / use less power to get spinning. However, the difference in weight between stock & aftermarket cam gears is kinda negligible I would think.