HondaCivicForum.com

HondaCivicForum.com (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Internal (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/)
-   -   camshaft position sensor location?? (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/camshaft-position-sensor-location-77495/)

spazboy69 08-05-2009 08:15 PM

camshaft position sensor location??

Hey my camshaft position sensor A just went bad on my car and i bought a new one but I can not find the location of the sensor. Any help please?

2003 honda civic ex

94civichatchback 08-05-2009 08:19 PM

camshaft position sensor or crankshaft position sensor?
crankshaft sensor is just behind the harmonic pulley

how to replace

For safety disconnect the battery, losen all drive belts,including alternator from the top screw if you reach it from the upper side with a 12 MM socket or wrench,then take off driver side front tire, remove two plastic pins from the engine splash guard with a 10 mm socket or wrench, get the splash guard down, now you support the engine with a hydraulic jack (I will recommend to use a piece of flat board of wood or plywood in between jack and engine) and put a jack stand on where removed tire, now take off Lower engine mount with a 14mm socket or 9/16, since we have supported the engine with a jack possible get off the upper left (driver side engine mount,so we will be able of moving up and down the engine since we will remove three screws of the bottom part of the timing belt cover, plus de AC idler pulley,but before that we also could start taking the belts off the crank shaft pulley,which is the pully where all three drive belts go to, this pulley there is only two ways to get it out since on Hondas they do come so thight, one is with the air gun, second is using a vice grip with a chain on the tip and thight it well and hold it very strong while some one tries to get it out with a very stron rachet and 3/4 socket or 19 mm. is recommended to use long extensions on the rachet, once you get the pulley out get the screws off the timing belt cover but just the lower part of the cover 3 10mm screws,plus remove the ac idler pully which is the small pulley on the midle of the lower part of the cover once you get the pulley out you get the cover out, and follow the cable that comes down by the oil pan and remove the screw of the golden angle that ends right on the left of the timing belt for and easy assambly of the new sensor is better to remove the other screw on the little angle of metal, just follow the same rod for the wire and that's it, connect it, put the cover back, install all drive belts in position and insert them on to the crank shaft pulley, and thight it good including belts, cover it back and you set the engine mounts back on set your tire back get the Jacks out plug your battery and done.!!!!

spazboy69 08-05-2009 08:26 PM

its a camshaft position sensor

94civichatchback 08-05-2009 08:31 PM

i cannot find anything about a camshaft position sensor i dont think they have them im pretty sure its a crankshaft sensor which serves the same purpose just different location...

RonJ 08-05-2009 08:32 PM

Can you post the CEL trouble code for this sensor?

RonJ 08-05-2009 08:45 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Note that below is for a DOHC engine whereas yours is a SOHC. I assume sensor replacement is similar.

Attachment 17752

Attachment 17753

spazboy69 08-06-2009 11:34 AM

i thought mine was a dohc and not a sohc and the codes said camshaft position sensor A circuit malfuntion and camshaft position sensor A range or performance problem so i got a new sensor

RonJ 08-06-2009 11:45 AM

I'm pretty sure only the Si has the DOHC engine.

94civichatchback 08-06-2009 12:12 PM

post a picture of your motor....
you might be looking up codes for a dohc and yours is a sohc...

spazboy69 08-08-2009 12:21 PM

mine is sohc and i think it is on the driver side