HondaCivicForum.com

HondaCivicForum.com (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Internal (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/)
-   -   CIVIC ENGINE INFORMATION NEEDED (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/civic-engine-information-needed-43564/)

absinprogress 05-03-2007 10:14 AM

CIVIC ENGINE INFORMATION NEEDED

hi everyone im new to the forums and new to the whole honda thing but i love honda's i have a 1992 LX Civic sedan and the engine in it now isa D15B7 i believe i would love to gain more horsepower and such and ive got 2 suggestions but i dont know which to do which is the smartest the engine by the way only has 60k and change on it runs great..

[ol][*]should i just do a VTEC head swap and if so[*]which vtec head should i use or are they all the same[*]are the vtec heads better to get by the year they were made ex. a 2000 vtec or a 1994 did honda improve on the head through the years and if they did is it compatible with my engine[/ol]
or the otha choice which i think is also a good idea but keep in mind the cost of these engines

[ol][*]should i do a engine swap instead[*]which type of engine is compatible with my car acura or honda[*]which is the best engine to get for my honda civic[*]wat major parts will have to change in an engine swap[*]again does the year of the engine make it better then older engines and if so will it fit in my civic[*]and wats the diff between and engine and an engine with an long block[/ol]
please anyone with real answer to these questions please help ...after the engine is change i think i can take it from there as to change the intake exhaust etc... to gain more horespower im jsut really confused about the engine part

Lost 05-03-2007 10:18 AM

RE: CIVIC ENGINE INFORMATION NEEDED

First off you need to tell us what you want from the car. How much more power?

You can change out the head with a VTEC head, its called a mini-me swap. DIY--> https://www.hondacivicforum.com/m_45390/tm.htm
IMO the best vtec head to use would be the D16Z6.
As long as there are no cracks and its not warped, you shouldnt have to worry about the year.
And yes a D16Z6 is a bolt on to the B7 but you will need parts as outlined in the link.

If you choose the full swap (i would)

1. The best bet is a B-series engine like the B16 or B18. they will cost you.
2. The B series engine are from both Acuras and Hondas. The 2000 si has a B16A2, the GSR (b18c1) is from an Acura
3. That is up to you, what are your goals for the car? Turbo? N/A? How much power.
4. Major parts are, long block, tranny, ecu, shift linkage. Depends on the engine.
5. Someone else can answer this, I dont think it makes a huge diff.
6. Long block is theblock and cylinder head. Short block is just the block. Generaly speaking, engine is the whole deal, although some people leave out the tranny when saying "engine"

absinprogress 05-03-2007 10:39 AM

ok great i do want as much as power as i can hande or get in this civic i would love to put turbo in it but again im trying to decide on and engine or a vtec head swap and then do the rest from there which would you choose and also what engines are compatible with my honda civic 1992 sedan and are all generation honda engines compatible or am i limited to which honda engine i can use..im sure as the younger the engine the more moeny it cost but which years are compatiable .....wat i want from the car is basically way more horsepower a reasoniable amount maybe between 250 to 400

absinprogress 05-03-2007 10:42 AM

i also would maybe want to change the tranny because i have an auto tranny in there now and i want a manuel tranny then the same questions arise which tranny should i use and which would be the best to use along with the new engine i choose and the younger the tranny the better orolder tranny can do the same job

cderalow 05-03-2007 11:20 AM

D series engines and transmissions are direct bolt ins to your current vehicle

D16Z6 is a good place to start for D series turbo

B series engines will require quite a bit more work (including new engine/transmission mounts, transmissions, and a lot of other parts)

Really in such an old car, I would think twice about spending the money on an engine swap.

Doing a MiniMe and bolting on things like intake, headers and exhaust will probably make you pretty happy in the long run.

Very few people go turbo, and of those few maybe 1/4 of them do turbo right