HondaCivicForum.com

HondaCivicForum.com (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Internal (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/)
-   -   Civic starting problem (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/civic-starting-problem-632/)

terraeisa 07-09-2004 03:04 PM

Civic starting problem

I have a 90 Civic that runs great, but the problem occurs when its hot. It will not start if it is sitting in direct sunlight and the temp. is 85 degrees and above. Also when you drive it awhile and shut it off it will not start right back up. I have to wait about 20 minutes, then it starts and runs great. This only happens in the summer months, in the winter its fine all the time. Any suggestions group to where I should start looking group? By the way it has 210k miles on it.

sacicons 07-10-2004 02:01 AM

RE: Civic starting problem

ive noticed that most honda problems are located in the ignition system. if you know anything about working on your car, then go ahead and start here. i have one of those cheap Haynes manuals you can get for fifteen bucks at autozone or napa for every one of my cars and they have proved invaluable. they go through the repairs step by step in terms most people can understand. a Helms or Chilton is better but they are more expensive and very technically written. it all depends on your level of skill.

terraeisa 07-10-2004 09:17 AM

Thanks, the ignition system is where I was to start and yes, I have the Haynes book. Also, most of my car knowledge has come since owning this Civic. I can say I know quite a bit ab out this car.

lilol89crx 07-10-2004 04:50 PM

ive had that same problem with my 91 hatch. mine ended up being the main relay. if im not mistaked the helms gives you the specs for the main relay. might as well pull that out and check the internal resistances of every terminal as per the book since it wont cost you a dime.

terraeisa 07-11-2004 02:38 AM

Thanks for your help. Where can I get the Helms book? Do you know if the crank angle sensor can cause this problem????

terraeisa 07-11-2004 02:26 PM

Is there another name or term for main relay? What and where is it located?

lilol89crx 07-11-2004 07:01 PM

you should be able to get a helms at a local parts store. if not hit up ebay. the main relay is called just that and in a haynes you will not find it listed in the index. if you look under the drivers side dash very closely mounted on the side(not firewall) you will see a black plastic box with a brown top bolted in with a 10mm bolt. its kinda behind the coin tray.

terraeisa 07-12-2004 09:39 AM

Thank you, I'll look for the helm books today and let you how it goes.

D16z6 07-14-2004 02:18 AM

It might be over heating, so for over heating problem you might wanna try and change the antifreeze fluide.

terraeisa 07-14-2004 02:35 AM

ThankS for the help, but its not overheating. This is an electrical problem. As (lilol89crx) mention, "it may be the main relay", I have been told this several times and will try to change it today. I HAVE STILL NOT BEEN ABLE TO LOCATE A HELM'S MANUAL AND PEOPLE DO NOT SEEM TO HAVE HEARD OF IT EITHER AT THE NORMAL AUTO PARTS STORES. ANY SUGGESTIONS?????