Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

seafoam?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 11:18 PM
HCF Member
Default seafoam?

im hearing all this seafoam the engine stuff and yet i dont know what it does....whats the main purpous to seafoam the engine?.. and how do u do it and what does it fix and stuff?

Old 05-29-2008, 11:35 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: seafoam?

i decided not to be an annoying/lazy snot and did some research...hope this helps everyone

How Many Mechanics Use SEA FOAM
In Tune-Up of 4 Cycle Gasoline Carbureted or Fuel Injected Engines
Autos, Trucks, and Tractors [ol] With engine warm, slowly pour 1/3 to 1/2 pint through carburetor or throttle body throat. (If vehicle is port injected slowly pour SEA FOAM through direct manifold vacuum line that will feed all cylinders, possible sources are P.C.V. valve or brake booster line.) This will pull SEA FOAM down on top of the pistons and to the back of the intake valves to dissolve carbon. Turn ignition off. Restart engine after 5 minutes. If severe carbon build up is apparent, use more Sea Foam as previously directed. Make sure exhaust is well ventilated when using Sea Foam in these various ways as fumes will be extreme for a short time. Pour 1/3 to 1/2 pint into oil crank case to clean rings, lifters, dirty parts and remove moisture. Pour 1/3 to 1 full pint into fuel tank to clean injectors, carburetor jets, fuel lines and remove moisture. Immediate Results: Smoother idle, increased R.P.M.'s better throttle response and improved performance. See label on can for detailed results for use in each area. [/ol] FUEL TANK, CARBURETOR, INJECTION and OIL CRANKCASE. For Peak Performance, Use SEA FOAM Every 2,000 to 5,000 Miles
[ul][*]A 100% pure petroleum product for use in all gasoline and diesel type engines, both 2 and 4 cycle. OXYGEN SENSOR SAFE.[*]Cleans dirty engine parts internally by removing harmful gums, varnish and carbon. WORKS AND PERFORMS INSTANTLY.[*]Removes moisture from oil crankcases and fuel tanks.[*]Stabilizes and conditions fuels. Use for engine storage.[*]Cure hesitations, stalls, pings and rough idle due to carbon buildup.[*]Helps pass emissions test. EPA Registered. [/ul] When Used Thru Injection or Carburetor[*]Cleans carbon build up[*]Cleans intake valves and pistons[*]Gives smoother idle[*]Cleans catalytic converter odors[*]Cures hesitations and pings[*]Restores power and pickup[*]With warm engine running, SLOWLY pour 1/2 pint through carburator, throttle body or direct manifold vacuum line that will feed ALL CYLINDERS. Possible sources are P.C.V. valve or brake booster line. Turn ignition off. Restart engine after 5 minutes. Be sure exhaust is well ventilated. Fumes will be extreme for a short period of time.[*]For use in injector cleaning machines, use 50% SEA FOAM and 50% fuel.[*]Fill diesel filters with SEA FOAM to clean injectors fast. [/ul] When Added to Crankcase (Oil)
[ol][*]Frees sticky lifters and rings[*]Increases R.P.M.'s vacuum and compression[*]Cleans dirty parts[*]Removes moisture[*]Cleans PCV valve systems
[/ol] One pint treats 10 quarts of oil (avg. 1 1/2 ounce per quart).

When Added to Fuel Tank[*]Cleans fuel injectors and carburetor jets[*]Cleans carbon as you drive[*]Lubricates upper cylinders[*]De-ices and removes moisture[*]Diesel full conditioner and anti gel[*]Stabilizes fuel [/ul] One pint treats 8-25 gallons of fuel (average 1 ounce per gallon).

In Injector Cleaning Machines

Add a 50/50 blend of fuel and SEA FOAM into injector cleaning machine. Run directly through the fuel rails to clean injectors fast. Add SEA FOAM to your fuel tank to clean injectors as you drive.

hope all the info is correct?

Old 05-30-2008, 07:29 AM
Recognized HCF Member

ya you pretty much answered your own question

its good stuff. if your car doesnt seem to start up or idle right or even run quite right. try a bottle and see if it helps.

my dads 00 suburban for the last year hasnt wanted to start and run or e ven idle 90% of the time..... i finaly convinced him to let me run some seafoam cleaner thru the motor, put some in the fuel tank and the rest i found a vacume line on the intake manifold did like it said and SO FAR last dozen attempts to start the truck was a simple turn of the key.... no grinding and grinding trying to get it to start and no extremly low idle and the motor dieing. worked good so far.

Old 05-30-2008, 09:05 PM
HCF Member

ok so if i put it in my gas tank, in the engine, and in the intake line thing...where is the intake line thing on the 02 civic?

Old 08-16-2008, 06:58 AM
HCF Member

I worked at a shop for a while in college and we used sea foam type products pretty commonly on intake manifolds and such.... they cleaned stuff up really well, smokes like crazy for a few minutes... just expect it...

I have never heard of putting it in the crankcase oil.. that scares me.. anyone ever done that?

As for putting it through the fuel tank, I don't doubt that it helps, but fuel injector cleaner and normal "gas treatment" by stp and stuff are WAY cheaper.

Old 08-16-2008, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by Civic|UnLimiteD
ok so if i put it in my gas tank, in the engine, and in the intake line thing...where is the intake line thing on the 02 civic?
vacuum lines, on the intake manifold. use the one going to the brake booster. you suck it up slowly with the vacuum line while the engine is running.
instructions in the DIY section

Originally Posted by rcherr642z
I have never heard of putting it in the crankcase oil.. that scares me.. anyone ever done that?
i'm pretty sure that's on the instructions on the bottle. it's safe

Old 08-20-2008, 04:27 AM
HCF Member

Yeah you can put seafoam in the crank. When I ran that through my civic I used one can. 1/3 in the crank, 1/3 in the fuel tank and 1/3 through the intake manifold.

On my 00 civic the PCV valve line is right on top of the intake manifold, more on the left side if you're looking at it from the front. There's a black vacuum line that runs to *what looks like* an inline fuel filter, except the one end is connected to the intake manifold... if that helps describe it... and I'm not sure if that would apply to an 02