HondaCivicForum.com

HondaCivicForum.com (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Internal (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/)
-   -   Crankshaft will not spin!?! (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/crankshaft-will-not-spin-76895/)

webster426 07-12-2009 11:10 AM

Crankshaft will not spin!?!

I am replacing my timing belt.....just installed the water pump (spun freely), replaced the cam seal....AND ensured a gazillion times that both were at TDC......I CAN NOT :mad: turn over the engine.

I can turn it a hair each way but it stops and will not go further....WTF!?!

I have checked everything and it is all installed properly.....I took off my belt and still...NOTHING. The thing is like frozen.

RonJ 07-12-2009 11:41 AM

Is the transmission in neutral? Did the engine run just prior to starting this work?

webster426 07-12-2009 11:45 AM

its a manual and yes it is in neutral....engine ran just fine before starting the work. I barely even had to weak anything to get everything TDC........

RonJ 07-12-2009 12:38 PM

Does the cam turn freely after installing the new seal?

Are you trying to turn the crank counterclockwise with a breaker bar on the crank bolt?

Pull the spark plugs out to see if the resistance to turning the crank may be due to cylinder compression.

addiction2bass 07-12-2009 01:05 PM

ya if your just trying to turn the motor over by hand, then be sure to remove the spark plugs. that will make it alot easier to turn over by hand!

webster426 07-12-2009 01:11 PM

Spark plus have been out.....i removed the vavle cover because I am replacing the valve cover gasket, spark plugs, and spark plus seals.

Everything has been removed from the get-go

addiction2bass 07-12-2009 01:46 PM

well if it still wont turn over thats odd. maybe you just need a larger ratchet or break bar.... OR you could also put the car in 1st gear with the wheels off the ground of course and turn one of the wheels to see if you can turn the motor over.

RonJ 07-12-2009 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by webster426 (Post 655783)
Spark plus have been out.....i removed the vavle cover because I am replacing the valve cover gasket, spark plugs, and spark plus seals.

Everything has been removed from the get-go

What are the answers to other questions in my previous post?

webster426 07-12-2009 02:38 PM

O.K.....I didnt do anything and it magically started working......

I talked to a mechanic who said you dont really need to turn it over by hand when the engine was running fine before the replacement.

When installing the cam pulley bolt, everything was working nice and smoothly.

BUT.....not I can not get the darn alternator belt on. All the bolts and wing nuts are lose but I still can not get it over the compressor pulley.

I have tried every method of starting with A,B, then C.....A, C, then B....etc.etc. and it wont go on.

Any ideas? This timing belt replacement has been the epitamy of Murphys Law

RonJ 07-12-2009 03:03 PM

When replacing the timing belt, preparation is the key to success. Your mechanic is wrong. You must turn the crank after installing the timing belt both to tension the timing belt and verify that the cam and crank are synchronously positioned at TDC1. Failure to do so may result in engine damage.

Regarding the alternator belt, make sure the bolt on the alternator mounting bracket is loose enough for the alternator to swivel freely.