Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

CX - z6 mini me swap info...

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2006, 04:15 PM
HCF Member
Default CX - z6 mini me swap info...

I'm going to start with some basic info regarding all of the prices, and parts and info that will be needed to do the swap on the cx model civic.

*****This won't be complete for a few days... I just use a few different computers throughout the day so putting everything here now will help me to access it... if you have anything to add... or comments or w.e. let me know.

* Don't hold me responsible for anything... but if you do have any questions feel free to pm me.

What won't work...
* Stock plug wires
* Stock distributor
* Stock airbox
* Stock timing belt
* Upper portion of the timing cover

What you'll need to get...
****You can usually find someone selling most of the main parts together... Usually including the head, valve cover, intake manifold and v-tec solenoid.. that's usually your best bet.

*z6 head----------------------------------------------------------(92-95 si 1.6)
$100-250 depending
*z6 intake manifold----------------------------------------------(92-95 si 1.6)
-try and get with head
-not required but flows better and will allow your new setup to breathe right...

* intake manifold gasket ----------------------------------------(92-95 si 1.6)
$15-25ish
*Valve Cover...---------------------------------------------------(92-95 si 1.6)
*Valve Cover Gasket...------------------------------------------(92-95 si 1.6)
$25ish
*z6 distributor... --------------------------------------------------(92-95 si 1.6)
$230-400 in store... got mine for $109 on ebay
*head gasket - (2 choices)
- y8 metal head gasket... -------------------------------------(96-00 si/ex 1.6)
$35-50
+ can remove the middle section of gasket to improve c.r.
- z6 head gasket... ---------------------------------------------(92-95 si 1.6)
$ ?? havent priced yet, didnt get it for my swap
*head bolts... -----------------------------------------------------(stock block)
$7-10 each, i think mine were 7.67
+ very hard to find for the d15b8 block, I found them at
carquest and they special ordered them, need 10 of them

*Spark plug wires...-----------------------------------------------(92-95 si 1.6)
$35 to ???
*Spark plugs...----------------------------------------------------(92-95 si 1.6)
*P28 e.c.u. --------------------------------------------------------(92-95 si 1.6)
about $100 to 150
*z6 timing belt-----------------------------------------------------(92-95 si 1.6)
$35 to 50ish
+stock belt will be to tight, it's recommended that you get a honda belt.
*Cold Air Intake or Airbox ---------------------------------------(92-95 si 1.6)
$$ depends on which route you go
+if you keep the original cx intake you will not need to change anything.
*V-tec solenoid...--------------------------------------------------(92-95 si 1.6)
$ usually around 100ish
*Upper portion of timing cover-----------------------------------(92-95 si 1.6)

A few things to be aware of...

* Throttle cable bracket will not line up right / may possibly need adjustment depending on how you go about fixing this. You could either get the right bracket/or throttle cable off of a parts car, or just drill out your bracket and adjust the cable.
* Sensor on the side of the i/m is on the back of the z6 i/m, just have to lengthen the wires a few inches...
(not sure what this sensor is called, waiting for a response in other thread)
* Throttle body size on the z6 i/m is bigger than the stock cx, so if you go with the z6 i/m, you will need the stock air box or just get a c.a.i.
* The bolt that holds the crankshaft pulley on is ON there. It may require air to get off. It's a pain in the a**.
* You should have a repair manual for your car on hand.
* When taking the head off and putting it on, make sure that you use the correct torque sequence, or you will warp the heads.
* The upper portion of the timing cover does not line up with the head or the cam gear, you will need the one from the z6.

A pic of my setup... Well, after a little cleaning and paint...
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y21...20CX/MINI3.jpg