HondaCivicForum.com

HondaCivicForum.com (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Internal (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/)
-   -   d series questions (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/d-series-questions-18607/)

Shandles 03-15-2006 04:28 PM

d series questions

Is it true that the d series in the 96-00 are prone to throwing rods? are they prone to any certain problems?

what about the d series found in the 7th gens? any problems? (reliability wise)

I know neither make good power....but ive heard some things on here recently that make me wonder about the d's and whether or not I should get one with high miles...

ef4life 03-15-2006 04:34 PM

RE: d series questions

the d17's are known to bit a bit fragile under boost, but a d16y8 is a good engine to build edlebrock makes a nice bolt on turbo kit for it

Street Sniper 03-15-2006 04:45 PM

It is true that the rods are the weak point in the D, but they are still good to 200Hp and/or 7200rpm.

If you are that worried about them and dont want to spring for aftermarket rods, you could just get them shotpeened. Shotpeening increases strength by 100% and it's only like 5 bucks per.

Shandles 03-15-2006 04:56 PM

thanks guys.... im not too worried. most honda motors are awesome(comparatively to other companies) I'm not gonna do to much to it.... if i do, i'll most definately go all motor. (bigger pistons, forged rods, cam, etc.,) but i doubt thatll happen anyways...

guess i just got a little worried, b/c i heard a few ppl bashin the D. oh well. Thanks.

BTW- who would "shotpeen" my rods? what does that even mean? my g/f's dad might be able to do it at his shop....

Street Sniper 03-15-2006 05:02 PM

Shotpeening id kinda like sandblasting, but it's done with like plastic pellets. Machine shops ought to be able to do it. What it does is smooth out all of the imperfections that might cause weak points.

finalimpact 03-15-2006 05:35 PM

biggest problem ive heard out of the y7 and y8 is the oil pumps going out prematurly. my y7 did this to me with less than 100k on it. im personally a d-series fanatic although i do drive b-series swapped cars also. there easy to build and parts are everywhere for a decent price.

antrmo 03-15-2006 05:41 PM

yay i read the rod stroke ratio is not so good on the y7. meaning the pressure the piston pushes on the cylider walls a little more than other honda engines,, compared to some thin like the engines in the r types which have amazing R/S ratios,, thats y they redline at 8000

Shandles 03-16-2006 10:40 AM

interesting... how easy is a b series swap? motor, trans, ecu, mounts? what else? how much? I could look else where... but im feelin lazy :D

finalimpact 03-16-2006 11:31 AM

ORIGINAL: antrmo

yay i read the rod stroke ratio is not so good on the y7. meaning the pressure the piston pushes on the cylider walls a little more than other honda engines,, compared to some thin like the engines in the r types which have amazing R/S ratios,, thats y they redline at 8000
this is with all 1.6 d-series engines. the 1.5 is a little better but not by much imo. although you can build a hybrid sohc with a better r/s ratio than the type r with just factory parts.

Nail I3unny 03-16-2006 01:43 PM

you can get your rods polished too to remove the seam inthem from the forging and causes weakenesses too...but im pretty sure its a lot more expensive than shot peening.