HondaCivicForum.com

HondaCivicForum.com (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Internal (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/)
-   -   d16Y7 (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/d16y7-31152/)

WHISP63 10-20-2006 11:18 PM

d16Y7

I've finally gotten my engine to the shop. I was told by the guy i got it from that it was running fine in the 2000 donor civic it was in. Aparently they cranked it occasionally to make sure everything stayed in good shape. They had it idling and I was told that it had just stopped running and when they tried to crank it it turned over unusually fast. I checked the timing belt before I bought it and it is still on. I finally got it on the engine stand this afternoon and wanted to make sure I didn't have a bent valve. I put a socket and long breakover bar on the front nut and spun it as fast as I could by hand and it sounded like it was blowing back into the intake on one or two cylinder. Am I being to cautious? Or should I go ahead and take the head off and make sure? Could the timing belt slip one or two notches and not bend a valve? I noticed that there was some water in the intake manifold. Could the motor hydrolocked in one cylinder and made the timing belt slip some? I'm not sure exactly what to do at this point. I got the engine for free and the civic it was in only had about 15,000 miles on it. It all but looks brand new. Any help would be greatly appeciated

StifflersMom 10-21-2006 08:01 AM

RE: d16Y7

can you do a leakdown test on it?

WHISP63 10-21-2006 09:51 AM

I'll need to get a different compression tester. The one I have isn't long enough to screw into a Honda head. Should I be hearing it blow back int o the intake manifold though? That's the part that really bothers me.

StifflersMom 10-21-2006 09:56 AM

I dunno...I would definitly run a leakdown and a compression hest. If anything is su****ious I'd take the head off and inspect it. Than new headgasket and a timing belt kit and anyhting else you might want to do at the same time.

riceburner700 10-21-2006 02:54 PM

agreed^^^

WhtRice 10-25-2006 02:49 PM

I recommend pullin the head and inspecting but it sounds to me like maybe an intake valve is bent open and you're getting blow by into the manifold, a leak down test is only gonna tell you what you're already hearing it could be a bent valve, or even a jacked up gasket installed incorrectly. pull the head.

WHISP63 10-31-2006 08:10 AM

As it turns out the motor had a couple of rings stuck. At the suggestion of a friend I used some brake fluid in each cylinder and they freed up. Compression has come back to maximum levels. All looks good at this point. I went ahead and installed the motor and I am to the point of putting the intake manifold on. Hopefully I will get it running this weekend. Wish me luck!!

Remmy 10-31-2006 08:27 AM

Yay!!!!

StifflersMom 10-31-2006 08:35 AM

wait...I've heard of kerosene and used that, but never did I hear of brake fluid...gotta go try it..