HondaCivicForum.com

HondaCivicForum.com (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Internal (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/)
-   -   decided on my swap (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/decided-my-swap-53835/)

Chester99civicEX 10-15-2007 12:02 PM

decided on my swap

what are the options that i could legally put into my '99 civic? and what price range would i be looking at for them? after researching it a little i have noticed that to get the numbers i want out of my d16y8 i would have to either turbo it or spend a hell of a lot of money, neither of which i want to do, i want to keep it without forced induction of any kind. if anybody could make a list of engines i could do with their HP and torque and prices i would expect to pay for a decent one, plus what else i would need to finish the swap that would be absolutely fantastic. I was thinking it would be pretty nice to swap a late model prelude engine into it but not sure what that would cost me.

also if i decide to swap, if anybody wants a low mileage d16y8 i might sell it as long as you would be willing to pick it up. Just been researching this a bit and was like "why spend xxxx dollars on bolt ons when i could get better numbers and a nicer engine for the same maybe a little more cash?"

so that is basically why i am thinking about the swap now.

RCJr9186 10-15-2007 12:19 PM

RE: IF i were to do an engine swap...

whats ur price range?

Chester99civicEX 10-15-2007 12:26 PM

right now dont really have one, but if i had to venture a guess i would say around 2k, maybe a little more, if i do it i wont be doing it for a while so have quite a bit of time to save up some cash

mxs 10-15-2007 12:31 PM

ORIGINAL: Chester99civicEX

what are the options that i could legally put into my '99 civic?
Depends what state you live in. A good turbo setup may not even be legal on your stock motor.

warner_ro 10-15-2007 04:06 PM

some engines that are good would be, b16, b20, h22, k20A, or k20Z if you got some money ot play with.

the h22 wqith b16 tranny would be a sick setup, or the k20a would be good. (k20a = 217hp)

k20a.org will have some more eninges for you and let you know all the K-series engines.

ryank327 10-15-2007 04:23 PM

Personally I would go with a b20 and bolt it to a b16 or gsr tranny. If you do the swap yourself you could drop some Higher Comp pistons or some cams in there to and have a nice setup.

Full b20 longblock $500
GSR or b16 Tranny $600
Mounts $300

Also where are you located?

Everyday Getaway 10-15-2007 05:59 PM

Honestly dude... screw if it's legal or not!!! Take a look around local inspection shops and talk to the people that work there, I know LOTS of people that have gotten their inspections done under the table for around $100-200 tops. Call it what you want, but it works and everybody wins

Chester99civicEX 10-15-2007 06:04 PM

located outside of tampa florida, brandon\riverview area sort of, thanks for your info so far :) definetely is helping me to get an estimate of about what to do and spend

~edit~
after several hours reading up on engine swaps and stuff that goes along with it I have decided I will be swapping in one of these

http://www.jdmtigerjapanese.com/prod...9ms8bkng96b094

since they seem to have pretty good numbers and are a hell of a lot cheaper than a k series engine. Had some questions though

1) Is it really illegal to swap an engine into a car that is older than the car itself? and if so, what are the chances somebody would actually do something about it? are there any complications that could occur from doing it as far as installing it and getting it to run?

2) What besides the engine do i need to swap in a B18?

3) Anybody in florida around the Tampa area know anything about swappiung in one of those engines? and if so once i start my swap would you be interested in sort of helping me out with the swap?

Right now my plans are to finish up my suspension work and then start saving up money for my swap, swap wont be happening for a while but i got the ok from my parents to do it whereas they shot down the turbo idea in a blink of an eye, so it is a go

Littlehag 10-16-2007 09:41 AM

I live in ohio and i've never heard of it being illegal to swap a motor out thats older than the car. the only thing i could possibly imagine that it would be illegal is because of emmissions. Even then... all you would have to do is say your engine blew up and it had to be replaced, so you put a shinier, biggerengine in. lol

Everyday Getaway 10-16-2007 09:53 AM

As long as the engine is OBD2 you should be fine, though I'm not positive. Like I said though, just look around now and see if someone would inspect it for you under the table. BTW, you will need A LOT more than the engine alone... Trans, ECU, axels, half shaft, motor mounts, etc... It's going to come out over $3000 most likely, and defenetely if you aren't doing the work yourself...