HondaCivicForum.com

HondaCivicForum.com (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Internal (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/)
-   -   Different ITB Idea (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/different-itb-idea-32266/)

VTECME 11-09-2006 04:45 PM

Different ITB Idea

Ok so i really like the idea of making my own ITB's for my H22. But what I don't understand with normal ITB's is why they leave them shorter and relatively straight. My thinking is that the ITB's should bend up and get away from the engines natural heat. Then if I really get what I want, mount a real hood scoop and feed the air right into the ITB's. It seems like the best ram air design i have ever seen. What do you guys think?

ef4life 11-09-2006 04:58 PM

RE: Different ITB Idea

short intake runners make higher rpm power, longer runner make low end. itbs are really good for high end power. and packaging of them usually makes them need to be shorter.

but you do have a good idea there, and the ram air would be good.

Pete 11-09-2006 05:43 PM

Yea but lots of $hit would get into the motor too wit the ram air.

Remmy 11-09-2006 05:53 PM

Pretty good idea. But instead of tibs, fabricate a ram air with a filter under it. It would basically have the same outcome.

Kedawei 11-09-2006 06:47 PM

I don't think it would give desirable results for a high RPM application, or even mid range RPMs. The injectors need to be placed as far from the valves as is practical for high rpm gains. Also, the added overall length of the intake tract would be undesirable for high rpm gains.

VTECME 11-09-2006 07:07 PM

Ok. Yeah I was definitely going mock up some sort of filter design. So if i did the shorter runners i could run a longer intake design from the hood? I like to think about doing something different and this is really cool to me. My plan is to buy a used IM off ebay and overtime make the setup exactly the way i want. Would the bend in the intake runners be of any concern? Say before the injectors make the TBs sit straight up? That way it would make the ram air effect the best.

VTECME 11-09-2006 07:32 PM

another thing that i not sure i was clear about is that the TBs and injectors etc. would all be normal. i would just make longer 'velocity stacks" as they are called to extend the point of where the air is taken from to be high and near the hood

Kedawei 11-09-2006 10:49 PM

I'm really not an expert on ITBs or fluid dynamics. I'm not sure how much a bend would affect flow velocity. I can tell you, though, to finish the bends before fuel is introduced. To put a fuel/air mixture through a turn you have to widen the diameter of it's enclosure to slow it down to just the right speed before it can continue on, otherwise the fuel will seperate out of the air and run into the enclosure's wall (known as flow quality). Doing so would disrupt the taper design of the intake runners.

If you're really intent on a ram air ITB design, (REALLY intent lol) you might consider a K20 swap. K20s have their intake manifold on the front of the block. A reverse hood scoop and bam, you'd be done.

Kedawei 11-09-2006 10:51 PM

Nvm, don't think you can get a K20 in a prelude heh.

VTECME 11-09-2006 11:17 PM

I would definitely finish the turns before the fuel injectors. But on a stock IM there is a 90 degree turn.