HondaCivicForum.com

HondaCivicForum.com (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Internal (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/)
-   -   Does this make sense? (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/does-make-sense-8685/)

BrennanCivic 08-10-2005 03:45 PM

Does this make sense?

Obviously, I'm new to modding, and really, learning about cars in general. So here's my question, if it is a feasible one anyway: does a 2004 Honda Civic LX two door (coupe) have a single throttle body for the whole engine, or one for each cylinder, or does that even make sense? Sorry, I'm still trying to learn about it all and I've heard people talk about modding their throttle bodies, like getting a bigger one, and my understanding was this was part of what helps bring in air to the engine, so people would say get a bigger one so they'd have more power. Anyways, if my question is really one that makes sense, would a bigger throttle body even help that much?

cartledge 08-10-2005 05:33 PM

RE: Does this make sense?

You'll have a single throttle body, attached to the intake manifold.

you can get indivual throttle bodies for each cylinder like the TODA one below, but they replace the intake manifold but give you awsome gains upto 50bhp!!(plus suck good knows what into your engine).

TODA individual throttle bodies

A larger throttle body would give you a bit more power but in combination with a balanced system, cams etc would give you greater benift

AOL.COM 08-10-2005 05:40 PM

it has 1 throttle body ----but i would work on the intake & exhaust 1st---then a bigger throttle body would have a better affect---remember the faster u can get air & fuel in & out of the engine -- the faster u go[sm=gears.gif]

ngoti 8tor 08-10-2005 08:08 PM

ORIGINAL: AOL.COM
remember the faster u can get air & fuel in & out of the engine -- the faster u go
Only to a certain point.......let's say you get a 1000mm throttle body.......it's not gonna make you go 400mph.
I wouldn't get a larger throttle body unless you have quite a few mods or else have a S/C or T/C.

Nail I3unny 08-10-2005 09:59 PM

ORIGINAL: ngoti8tor

ORIGINAL: AOL.COM
remember the faster u can get air & fuel in & out of the engine -- the faster u go
Only to a certain point.......let's say you get a 1000mm throttle body.......it's not gonna make you go 400mph.
I wouldn't get a larger throttle body unless you have quite a few mods or else have a S/C or T/C.
same basic principal as the exhaust. it relies on velocity of the air.

FD_Sauce 08-11-2005 06:13 AM

Yes true a larger throttle body would gain HP but do go overboard, you'd be messing with the air velocity well at least on a NA engine.

Ray012874 08-11-2005 04:21 PM

What about "throtter spacer"? I heard this term elsewhere...

ngoti 8tor 08-11-2005 04:24 PM

ORIGINAL: Ray012874
What about "throtter spacer"? I heard this term elsewhere...
I think you mean "throttle body spacer".

If you do a search, you should find a few posts about it.

Street Sniper 08-11-2005 04:47 PM

From the numbers I have seen, a throttle body spacer is a decent investment. 50 bucks for 2 or 3 Hp isn't bad. The biggest gain of a bigger throttle body will be had by "port matching" your intake manifold, meaning boring out your manifold to match the opening of the larger throttle body.

Also, the gain of the spacer is due to the increase in volume, not the supposed "swirling" effect that they claim. Get an Integra TB. It's 60mm, and a TB spacer but bore it and your IM out to 60mm and you could see 6 or 7 Hp.

Oh I forgot you have an 04. The Integra TB bolts right on to my IM. You will have to check fitment, but the principle remains the same.

Ray012874 08-12-2005 01:00 PM

I used the search found alot of info but mostly some discussion whether it was worth it or not. They all seem to agree that a throttle body is better than a throttle body spacer. I have a short ram intake. Would a throttle body spacer interfere with the intake? Also I read on another post that a throttle body spacer only work with heat? Is that true?

I'm investing on a catback system soon (next month) then working on the getting the headers however, if a throttle body spacer is worth it, I might get that first. I have a lx auto 05. Is this a good way to go or not?