HondaCivicForum.com

HondaCivicForum.com (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Internal (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/)
-   -   Don't laugh at my basic questions (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/dont-laugh-my-basic-questions-28154/)

zarembad 08-30-2006 06:13 PM

Don't laugh at my basic questions

As a classic muscle car builder, I have no knowledge of honda civic mods. I did however sell my musclecar and buy a 1994 civic hatchback. It has super low miles and was driven by an old guy who had it in for every service possible at the dealer. I thought this would be a good place to start building the car. I have lots of basic questions, but most imprtant is this. How do you find the engine code for what I have in my car? It is 16 valve, non v-tec, and that is all I know. What is it? Is it worth building, or do I have to do a swap? How fast can I make it? Where do I start in the building process? Please any help would be appreciated.

Remmy 08-30-2006 06:24 PM

RE: Don't laugh at my basic questions

Sorry, we arent honda-tech.com. We arent going to laugh at your hatch <snicker>. Youve made a huge jump on car status. Youve come to the right place. Read the stickies in all the forums. You will learn tons without having to ask questions. Unlike many forums, this one is laid out very well and organised so it is easy to make your way around. The search feature is very good also.

Onto the topic at hand. I belive you have a d15b7. The code should be located right above the transmission.

Here are the specs: D15B7 1.5L 16V SOHC PGM-FI 1493 '92-'95 Civic DX/LX USDM 102@5900 98@5000 9.2:1

You could make a really nasty hatch for a small lump of cash. I recommend an eninge swap.

StifflersMom 08-30-2006 06:28 PM

I recommend against the engine swap...forged internals, a z6 or a y8 built head with a turbo cam...turbo kit and you have more power than the swap for this money...

Skrapdoggydog 08-30-2006 06:29 PM

How much horsepower r u looking for? If i were u i would swap a B18C motor (out of an acura intergra GSR) in ur hatch and turbocharge it. Running this setup with a great tune ur lookin at roughly 250whp but with how light ur car is it will fly (maybe low 13's in the 1/4). U could achieve this number by turbocharging the engine u have now but u will have to replace ur internals (pistons, springs, valves etc). With the swap the potential is there for real big numbers, depends on ur budget and goals. good luck!!

t34me 08-30-2006 07:42 PM

Welcome friend, hope the transition is easy, you will find in time your civic will not dissapoint you. So, are you interested in boosting or going NA? There are multiple ways to go, either way you need to decide your main route first(boost/NA) then go from there. Once you decide, do your research and ask questions

96civic285whp 08-30-2006 07:52 PM

Good luck with your build. IMO I would go with a swap.

zarembad 08-30-2006 08:30 PM

Not sure about the boost yet. I just hate to get rid of this engine that has been babied for all this time!! How fast can I make this engine without internal mods(pistons, rings, etc.)? I want to know If I should start buying bolts on, or if it is just a waste of time.

StifflersMom 08-30-2006 08:32 PM

I'm pretty sure the b7 rods are tiny and can't ahndle much

thakid 08-30-2006 08:54 PM

me personally with a bubble i would go with a swap preferably a B18LS or a B18V-tec these engines & transmission swaps useually start at aroung $800 and go up with a LS and with the B18V-tec around $1200 some people sell it for more some sell them for less. And the majority of the parts if not all of the parts (if i remember correctly) from the Integra are interchangeable with the Civic. So as long as you have the engine, transmission and ECU these engines are a direct bolt in.

StifflersMom 08-30-2006 08:58 PM

you'll need mounts and axles and shift linkage