HondaCivicForum.com

HondaCivicForum.com (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Internal (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/)
-   -   Engine advice (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/engine-advice-69149/)

island__guy2008 08-21-2008 03:17 PM

Engine advice

Ok guys, I have a 95 dx coupe with a sohc d15b7 non-vtec junk motor. I want get a new engine asap however I am completly new to swapping. Could anyone make a recomendation on which motor may be a good candidate to replace my stock motor, keeping simplicity in mind in regards to the installation. Cost is also a large factor......

trustdestruction 08-21-2008 04:01 PM

with cost and simplicity being the main factors, i'd recommend doing a mini-me swap. all you need is the d16z6 head, vtec solenoid, and ecu. everything bolts right up, except you have to remove the oil jet from the block which is simple, and you have to run a couple wires from the ECU to the vtec solenoid.
check out the DIY section for more info
it will give you as much power as a full d16z6

island__guy2008 08-22-2008 10:07 AM

oil jet?

Could you give me any more info on the oil jet removal? and you for sure need the ecu?

croninc 08-22-2008 10:52 AM

are you looking for more power?

trustdestruction 08-22-2008 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by island__guy2008 (Post 584287)
Could you give me any more info on the oil jet removal?

i have never personally done the swap.
i remember that there's instructions about the oil jet in the Mini-me Swap DIY in the DIY section. You may have to click something on the page that says like view all threads, or something like that.

Originally Posted by island__guy2008 (Post 584287)
and you for sure need the ecu?

if you want VTEC, and the power you'll get from the swap.

arust45 08-25-2008 10:43 AM

The most useful piece of advice would be to know why you want to swap another motor in. Is the motor junk as in you need to tow the car to get it moving?
________
BossIsHere live

trustdestruction 08-25-2008 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by arust45 (Post 584900)
The most useful piece of advice would be to know why you want to swap another motor in. Is the motor junk as in you need to tow the car to get it moving?

probably because the d15b7 is a junk motor. (performance wise)

island__guy2008 08-25-2008 01:33 PM

No the motor is in great shape its just that it is gutless. I want something better the problem is that i do not have a great deal of money to spend, I am leaning towards the mini me swap but I am still undecided.

arust45 08-25-2008 11:49 PM

The z6 head swap is a pretty good idea, but it will still be slow as hell. The fact that your tranny is geared for uber fuel economy does not help either. Check into nitrous in conjunction with the addition of vtac.
________
Avandia Settlements

trustdestruction 08-25-2008 11:59 PM

I wouldn't get nitrous if i were you. Instead i would look into some type of forced induction whether it be turbocharger or supercharger. Having to fill up your nitrous bottle periodically for $3-4 a pound just isn't that appealing. Sure, it costs less in the beginning and is easier to install, but in the end it will cost more than a turbo setup. The power you get from a turbo or supercharger is made by sucking in air, just faster than without the forced induction. But it's still just air, which is free... until they start charging us for that too. :D