Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Engine Grounding kits ? Worth the trouble

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2007, 06:46 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Engine Grounding kits ? Worth the trouble

i believe grounding kits stabilize your electrical signals around the engine bay area. So that there will be no static interference affecting all the electric components. as a result stable current, idling, less static noise.

Old 01-23-2007, 09:38 PM
HCF Member

just buy some 4g copper cable from a local car audio shop and also buy some wide base crimp on ends. not verry expensive. and then just replace all the current ground wires...i also added one directly on my distributer and altranator. if you would like i can take some photos of my car and put them up so you can see them

Old 01-24-2007, 11:46 PM
HCF Member

i think 4g is rather over kill......i personally use 8g. one to the alt, starter, distributor, frame............and 8g is easier to hide if your like me and are into wire tucks.

Old 01-25-2007, 03:01 AM
HCF Member

only reason that i went 4g is cause i had leftover 4g cable from installing all the wiring for my amp and car-computer. so i decided i would just buy a few extra crimp ends and redo my grounds.

Old 01-29-2007, 11:32 PM

car computer, wtf?

Old 01-30-2007, 07:26 AM
HCF Member

i dont think you need a hole kit, just get some4 or 6 gauge wire and re-do all your grounds (especially from the battery itself)> My car had a hard time starting and my lights dimmed when my bass hit and all i did was replace the ground on the battery and it made a world of different.

Old 01-30-2007, 07:21 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: halfnoise

car computer, wtf?
Yeah, im not fully done with my setup im going to do a DIY with photos when i get done with it. you take a regular computer build a custom case and put it in your trunk at a DC/DC powersupply with a startup/shutdown controller to turn it on and off with your car, install a LCD touchscreen upfront and there you go audio is being run through the aux input on my headunit i will be able to run GPS, movies, music and even internet from my car when im done. i will also be able to connect it to my ECU and view diagnostics, change settings and there are a few programs outthere that will allow you to do an athome dyno, it would not be dead on and should not be used in tuning but it is enough do give you good enough numbers to see if a part you just added put some HP on your car go to http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/ for more info its a gold mine for info on these even has its own section for connecting it to your ECU

Old 01-30-2007, 08:11 PM
HCF Member

So I am just learning about this wire tuck thing..... can you upgrade your ground wires AND wire tuck? Where exactly DO the wires go? ANyone have a picture of a functional civic with a wire tuck?

Old 01-30-2007, 08:24 PM
HCF Member

Yeah, I am all about seeing some pics.

I am looking at the grounds under my hood as we speak and its ugly. I can't believe some of these grounds even work very well. I have pulled some of them off and found paint under them, how is that effective, lol.

I sand most of my connections down from time to time, just like the battery leads, it makes for stronger connections.

I think I will just take some aftermarket 8-6 gauge wire and swap some of them out myself, that way I can get colored wiring, and do some engine compartment mods while I am at it.

I know you will all hate me, but I am slowly adding some black/ yellow under the hood, it's going to look nice when I get it all done, and the leftover factory black hoses and brackets will fit in, and not look so out of place. I got my yellow emblems on the other day, I am going to put some pics in my photo book thing as soon as I get a chance.

Thanks for all the feedback!

Old 01-30-2007, 08:29 PM
HCF Member

ill get some photos up of my upgraded grounds, the alternator and distributor do not have grounds id recommend adding some.

Quick Reply: Engine Grounding kits ? Worth the trouble