Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Is this engine guy trying to scam me?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2009, 06:56 PM
Default Is this engine guy trying to scam me?

my 2000 civic lx engine blew because it was being driven with very low oil. pep boys quoted me like 2200 to get it repaired. one of the cylinders isn't working(#3). they recommended that i just find somebody to do it for me. i did that.

craiglisted this guy and he seems like a nice guy and he supposedly has worked at a lot of engine shops, and he said he is more than quilified to rebuild a civic engine. originally it started like this:

i was going to get my own engine from LKQ and it would be 130,000m for 550$ or 40,000m for 900$. and the guy was going to charge me 750 on top of that for gas, labor and little parts he might need. i would pay 550 for the engine directly to LKQ, and give him 375 before the job and 375 after.

a couple days later he said that he has another option. he could restore it for 1700 total, but he would need 700 for the parts to rebuild the engine, and he would need half of the labor up front.

so now instead of giving him 375 up front, i'm entrusting him with 1200, and the car and/or the engine. he would take the car or just the engine to his house because i live in arizona and there is an HOA that i have to report to and they won't let me have a weeklong engine reparation in my driveway.

i told him i would need references from his previous employers and he said that most of the shops are closed, or the managers don't work there anymore. but hes going to give me one number tonight.

he also told me that we could put the agreement in writing, and i could see his house where the car would be repaired.

is this a reasonable price? is this a well known scam? what else should i ask?

Old 09-21-2009, 05:25 AM
HCF Member

Don't do it its gotta be a scam I would never just give somebody my keys and let em drive away... well you know what i mean take it to a reputable shop and have them fix it also how low on oil were you i ran around on 1quart not knowing it for a while till i changed my oil and only that much came out

Old 09-21-2009, 11:49 AM

not only was it being driven on low oil, it broke down probably as a result of being driven too hard as well. the engine guy gave me two references for shops that he used to work at and i am going to call them tomorrow. also i am going to make a trip out to his house and meet his wife and see his garage and just get a feel for who he is. i feel like he is giving me a great price compared to what most mechanics would charge me. and there will be a written agreement as well.

shouldn't this be enough to protect myself?

Old 09-21-2009, 12:01 PM
HCF Member

Don't do it dude.....better safe than sorry...if you're gonna give him 1200 up front u may as well take it to a reputable shop and have it done right the first time. If Pepboys chargin you 2200 and dude is chargin you 1700 u may as well bite the bullet and put in the extra 1G

Last edited by islandtuner; 09-21-2009 at 12:03 PM.
Old 09-21-2009, 12:31 PM

what are some other kinds of shops that i could take it to to replace it? anyone know of any good ones in the phoenix area?

Old 09-21-2009, 12:41 PM
HCF Member

Ok I live in Arizona as well. Dont get some nobody to swap your motor. The best thing to do in your case is get find a used motor for your car. If you can turn a wrench then swap it yourself it is a strat swap out so you have all the parts already. If you dont feel you can do it then get your motor and find a good shop. Independant import is a good place, they do almost all honda acura stuff. Here is their number 602-954-7923 it is real shop.

Old 09-21-2009, 03:39 PM
HCF Member

dude you live in phoenix and cant find a reputable shop? what ever, my dads friend lives in phoenix in the winter so i will ask him what shop he would recommend

Old 09-23-2009, 12:41 PM

thanks for all the help guys, i ended up having it towed to independent imports on 30th and thomas.

they offered to swap motors (an 80,000 mile one), and change timing belt, and water pump, and engine mounts, parts and labor, 2500. he said he's not sure how much of that 2500 he will use, and he will refund the unused portion, but how can i count on getting any of it back? times are tough and i uderstand how it works.

anyway, does this seem like a fair deal to you guys?

Old 09-23-2009, 05:15 PM
HCF Member

it seems like a halfway decent deal especially that you are going to a reputable shop

Old 09-24-2009, 06:22 AM
HCF Member

Contract my friend. Write up a contract stating the agreement made and you and the other party as well as a witness, sign the contract agreeing upon price paid for service rendered and there will be a refund of any leftover funds once engine is done.
Cover your ***...u don't wanna get effed in it....lol
With this done, if any funny business goes down this agreement contract will be able to stand in court.

Quick Reply: Is this engine guy trying to scam me?