HondaCivicForum.com

HondaCivicForum.com (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Internal (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/)
-   -   engine on its last legs (turbo b16) (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/engine-its-last-legs-turbo-b16-55360/)

tombakers 11-09-2007 09:10 AM

engine on its last legs (turbo b16)

hi guys,i haveboosted my b16 fornot very long, i fitted a t3 t4 turbo with 440 injectors 255 fuel pump and crome remap. the car was running really smooth and fast on about 9psicouldnt of been more happy. until the point i started it one mornin and it was missing. took it for a run and it was still doin it but not quite as bad. also when i revved it whitesmoke puffed out of the breather on the rocker cover. i did a head gasket test where you add solution to a capsule and fasten it to the top of the radiator and it came out ok. then i compression tested it and the second cylinder was down by half. so ithen dropped a little oil and redid the test and the score went up a little. so it sounds like rings or piston not head.

the car stills drives ok but im not going into boost atall till i have resolved the problem,

If i decided to reinforce the internals with forged items would all i need is rods, pistons and rings and aslo the gasket set? what about a block gaurd?

Can you run by me a good setup for an engine being used daily on the road that will be reliable on 9psi (on a resonable budget)?

i cant tell you how dissapointed i am with this, the car was only running boostfor about2 weeks,the engines milaege is unknown, as it was swapped! but does this sound like detonation or just to much stress on the standard block with possible high mileage? also if i build the block with lower compression ratio pistons will i need a remap? also will i get less power?
tempted to fix make it standard and sell it and buy somethin quick as standard!
any help would be much appreciated guys
Cheers, Tom

MY99SI 11-10-2007 04:43 PM

RE: engine on its last legs (turbo b16)

did you do a compression and leak down test

SovXietday 11-10-2007 05:00 PM

Is it a basemap or is a TUNE.

If you didn't have someone sit down with a laptop and a wideband you have been probably running lean as **** this whole time and you melted your piston(s). You need to tune the car next time.

sleeper99ex 11-10-2007 05:21 PM

if it where me would rebuild the bottom end with forged pistons with a stock cmpression, a set of eagle rods, new bearings, and rings withe a block gard. and you should be good to run 9psi all day long if it is put together correctly and TUNED!

tombakers 11-10-2007 06:13 PM

the car was fullytuned on a dynoby thor racing england. on crome software through my chipped ecu that i sourced through xeocron, i did comp test and did a type of head test not sure whether its a leak down test though its where you put solution into a capsule and attach to the top of your radiator and it sees whther you read co2 or somethin and it changes colur thats all i know. cheers tom

Pete 11-10-2007 09:18 PM

If I were you I would definetly do a rebuild, but do it right. Eagle H Beam rods, weisco or CP are two reputable piston companies.......there are many others. After those components are installed get some arp studs and bolt it all together. Do you have a wideband? If you can do your own labor you will save a lot, but if you "think" you can do it, dont. You want it done right.

Pete 11-10-2007 09:19 PM

PS, blockguards are like bandaids.......and lower compression is where ya wanna be@ for boost.

tombakers 11-11-2007 07:51 AM

cheers guys :D, will have a think about it, will keeping the ac and having a very tight fitting manifold, and havin thecompressor against the enginecausing it to havea hot spot,makethe engine fail? cause i had to hack a load out to fit the compressor, this isnext to the engine code and this is the closest to cylinder 2 which has failed! hope this makes sense will post up a picture if it helps! and no i havent got a wideband o2 is it necessary if the engine has been tuned by a professional tuner?

Cheers, Tom