Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

engine ques.

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 02:20 PM
Default RE: engine ques.

Check the car's OBD status if you want to keep everything LEGAL you'll have to do the same OBD swap. If your year is OBD2a you'll have to get a OBD2a engine, OBD2b get a OBD2b engine.

The way I see it... as long as you're not in California who cares lol.

Old 05-09-2007, 08:15 PM

aight thanx guys...
so in the future i should get a K series swap... ahha i have no idea thier was K, i knew bout D, B, n H series.

Wat makes a K engine so expensive? is it turbo?

and ivtec wat OBD?

Pretty much... i've had to change alot of options cuz i live in southern cali. right outside LA so emissions is strict as hell!

Old 05-09-2007, 09:01 PM
formerly aryiman98civic

k series is a 220 hp engine that has 152 ft of tq. its a beast of an engine and it comes out of the 02 RSXs i believe. not sure what trim it is. its a great engine to have if you are staying n/a.

Old 05-09-2007, 09:19 PM

ORIGINAL: aryiman98civic

k series is a 220 hp engine that has 152 ft of tq. its a beast of an engine and it comes out of the 02 RSXs i believe. not sure what trim it is. its a great engine to have if you are staying n/a.

oo ok so that seems like some good news, costly but still good
wat does n/a mean?

Old 05-09-2007, 09:25 PM
formerly aryiman98civic

naturally aspirated this means no turbo, NAWS or supercharger

Old 05-09-2007, 09:58 PM

OBD is your emission controls, like your O2 Sensors. In California they are strict on it, and I know you'll get in trouble if you car year is for OBD2a and you are running a OBD1 engine. My cousin before we moved out of cali got busted for running a OBD1 B18C in his 98 EK hatch.

The court said and I quote:
"The emission controls for your year of car calls for a OBD2a engine, yet you have a OBD1 emission control engine in your car. This is illegal and you have 48 hours to remove that engine and replace it with the proper OBD status for your year of the car."

As far as I know, if you year is OBD1 and you put a OBD2a/b engine in your car you are safe. Vice Versa for OBD2 years. I say this because my cousin DID get busted for it so I guess it's jsut the luck of the draw.

Old 05-10-2007, 07:06 AM

as to the legality of swapping motors of an older OBD generation into cars, it depends on the state's emission laws

some states, it's an engine no older than the body, in some states, it doesn't matter

Old 05-10-2007, 07:10 AM
HCF Member

i think the swap is illegal because of the emissions of older engines is usually lest strict then newer engines, so if you're in a state or even a county that doesnt test for emissions, i say you're good to go, but if you're in Cali (for example) you should definitely keep it 01 or newer

Old 05-10-2007, 07:22 AM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: Fiasco

quite the condundrum. Your only choice is that k beast. Theyre expensive as hell.
wrong...some one forgot about the H series (if they still make them in japan...i dont know for sure) and then there is the F series...f23 i think will be the only one new enough for you though. im not sure of the years on the h series..but you would have the h22 and h23 to choose from...all of which will make that civic pretty quick. f22 and f23's are dirt cheap, h22's aren't too bad, and im not sure exactly on the h23 since they are from the accordeuro R, im sure its not to cheap...but not to expensive either.

Old 05-10-2007, 12:59 PM

haha ok so... is thier like any site on learning bout all these engine codes... cuz i've looked and its confusing... isnt the h series turbo?
and i was told that putting an engine in a car thats not that cars type of engine is illegal? true?false?

Quick Reply: engine ques.