HondaCivicForum.com

HondaCivicForum.com (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Internal (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/)
-   -   Engine rebuild. (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/engine-rebuild-1607/)

Kappa22 12-06-2004 11:16 PM

RE: Engine rebuild.

There's a few things you really HAVE to be nit-picky about. I don't know if you're planning to use aftermarket parts or just rebuild it OE.

If you are going for OE, the parts you need will include (Depending on how thorough you want to be):

-Rod Bearings (aka main bearings)
-Head Gasket
-Oil Pan Gasket
-Timing Belt
-Cam/Crank Seals
-Both Manifold Gaskets
-Spark Plugs
-Valve Cover Gasket/Grommets (Usually come in a set)
-Piston Rings (WARNING: I would not recommend that you try doing the rings on your own unless you REALLY know what you're doing. Don't try to do it with just a Chiltons/Haynes manual; in the long run, there's a good chance you'll leave something important out that they DON'T mention.)

1) You need to get the head surfaced at a machine shop.

2) As with any situation involving the head, you need to follow the correct pattern/torque charts when you put the head back on. Also, there are very specific torques for the connecting rod cap bolts.

3) VERY IMPORTANT: If you do the main bearings yourself, you need to tap-mark (number) each connecting rod and make sure each piston/rod/cap setup goes back into the same cylinder it came out of. This is critical to prevent the engine from burning oil post-rebuild.

4) ALSO VERY IMPORTANT: If you do the rings, for the first 1500 or so miles after you start driving it, you need to avoid cruising at steady rpms. You need to make it a habit to shift around a lot, downshift a lot on hills, and generally work the engine through a constant variety of speeds in order for the rings to wear into the cylinder walls correctly. This will prevent the rings from wearing out quickly, and will ensure that your engine doesn't burn any oil.

5) Reset the timing and adjust the valves post-rebuild.

6) Obviously, use piston cleaning solution (if you replace the piston rings, be sure to remove the rings and scrape the ring channels in the pistons BEFORE you soak the pistons).

NOTE: I'm pretty sure I left some things out. If I did, I will either edit this post or post the new information seperately.

Good Luck

sacicons 12-07-2004 07:57 PM

arent the main bearings and rod bearings different. i thought the rod bearings went on the C-rods, and the main bearings went on the main journals. i dont have a manual in front of me, but im pretty sure there is a distinction.

Kappa22 12-08-2004 12:25 AM

Sorry about that. I've never used manuals, so my dad and I just kind of throw the lingo around pretty loosely. We know what we're talking about, but I forgot that when I posted. I think you're right though.

99civic_boosted 12-09-2004 12:03 AM

ORIGINAL: sacicons

i thought the rod bearings went on the C-rods, and the main bearings went on the main journals.
Yes, you are correct.

sacicons 12-09-2004 12:12 AM

yeah, he changed it when he reposted it. now it says crank bearings instead of rod bearings. makes more sense.