HondaCivicForum.com

HondaCivicForum.com (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Internal (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/)
-   -   Engine Rebuild! Please Reply! (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/engine-rebuild-please-reply-22537/)

HelpMyHonda 05-23-2006 10:51 PM

Engine Rebuild! Please Reply!

Okay, What is involved with an Engine Rebuild? i am thinking bout Re-building my D15b2 Stock Honda Engine in my 88 Civic DX. But i'm not sure in what it requires. it has 277,xxx km's on it so i think it's about time. Any Info you can give on this subject would be much appreciated.

Kappa22 05-24-2006 08:03 PM

RE: Engine Rebuild! Please Reply!

It's a fairly easy rebuild compared to a lot of other things. You don't even have to pull the engine. Here are the basic steps:

1) Pull the head
2) Take off the oil pan
3) Pull the crank girdle
4) Take off the con-rod caps
5) Drop the crank
6) Pull the pistons.

It's VERY important that you mark each con-rod with something so that each piston goes back in the same cylinder it came out of, since you probably won't be getting the cylinders honed.

Hope that gives you a basic idea.

94DXProject 05-24-2006 10:19 PM

What gets replaced in an engine rebuild?

Kappa22 05-25-2006 04:11 PM

Whatever you want. I usually do rings, main bearings, head gasket, cam & crank seals, and oil pan gasket on anything, other parts as needed.

AgentofDarkness 05-25-2006 04:17 PM

How are you going to get the pistons back in with the ridge on the top of the cylinders? I would take the enginge out of the car and do a proper rebuild. It takes more time but the outcome will be better. You can have the engine block acid dipped to make sure its cleaned and have it machined. I would replace pistons, rods, main and rod bearings, piston rings, and all the seals/gaskets.

Kappa22 06-01-2006 03:56 PM

ORIGINAL: AgentofDarkness

How are you going to get the pistons back in with the ridge on the top of the cylinders? I would take the enginge out of the car and do a proper rebuild. It takes more time but the outcome will be better. You can have the engine block acid dipped to make sure its cleaned and have it machined. I would replace pistons, rods, main and rod bearings, piston rings, and all the seals/gaskets.
What I posted IS a proper rebuild if you know what you're doing. You can do everything you need to do in a Civic rebuild without pulling the engine, ESPECIALLY on an EF.

The way you get the pistons back in is you use a ring collar to hold the rings in, then align them with the cylinders and tap them in with a rubber mallet. Internals 101.;)

x2100 06-11-2006 01:43 PM

What is the cost of such a rebuild?
For example on a 2000 ex engine

Pete 06-11-2006 02:05 PM

More than its worth lol. You could get a newer JDM D15 motor with around 35,000 miles for like 800 bucks.

AgentofDarkness 06-11-2006 08:00 PM

ORIGINAL: Kappa22

The way you get the pistons back in is you use a ring collar to hold the rings in, then align them with the cylinders and tap them in with a rubber mallet. Internals 101.;)

I think i confused my self there, i know about the ring collar and i've used it before but never on an engine with a ridge on it.