HondaCivicForum.com

HondaCivicForum.com (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Internal (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/)
-   -   Engine running cold (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/engine-running-cold-35959/)

mohsinsyed 01-12-2007 11:26 PM

Engine running cold

I am a brand new user of this forum and just as a background I'm not highly technical with cars aswell. Anyway, I drive a Civic 93 EX and here is the issue I am going through:

I live in Winnipeg and these days the temperatures go as low as -40 C...The problem is that when I start my car and leave it running for 30 mins, the temperature gauge only goes up very little, hardly noticeble. Now the important thing is that it happens when the Air Circulation is set to get fresh air from OUTSIDE. Now, if I change the Air Circulation to take air from the car, then Temp gauge starts to go up, goes up about 1/4 of the gauge, but it still does not go up till the center like it does in the summer time.
One more thing, lets see the Air Circulation is set to take air from inside and temp gauge is about 1/4 while I'm driving. Now if i shift air circulation to take air from OUTSIDE, at that time, the temp gauge starts to go down and it almost goes all the way back to C.
When this happens I notice the Heating system(air) does not work as efficiently and the air starts to get cooler....
Any comments would be greatly appreciated!!!!!....Hurry up...I'm freezing in the cold......

civicblend97 01-12-2007 11:37 PM

RE: Engine running cold

have u owned this car for very long or is it new to u

reason i asked is that i have a car that runs cold when its cold out side and it does not have a thermostat in it but its also much colder where u are

mohsinsyed 01-12-2007 11:40 PM

I have had this car for about 1 year now and I remember that I having the same issue last year during winters aswell. One more thing, I want to mention, during summer time it does not matter if the air circulation is set to inside or outside, the car warms up like charm and the temp gauge stays in the center. Please help!

ProjectGSR 01-12-2007 11:55 PM

I live in Edmonton and when I drive home from work my temp gauge does not go up at all, (35 min drive) as if its broken. But when I let it run in my heated parking at home it goes up to the normal 1/4 mark. This probly wont help, but just letting you know it happens with me too.

mohsinsyed 01-12-2007 11:58 PM

This is exactly what happens to me aswell, when I park my park the car in my heated parking at home, then the temp gauge goes up.

Misha 01-13-2007 12:11 AM

Either bad or removed thermostat. Install/replace. 100% sure in both cases.

mohsinsyed 01-13-2007 12:33 AM

Thanks for your reply Misha....

Would you happen to know where the Thermostat would be located on a Civic 93 EX?

Misha 01-13-2007 12:59 AM

The best I can do is on the pic. The red arrow points the lower radiator hose, which connects radiator and thermostat. The end of this hose in the direction of arrow is attached to thermostat housing. There are two small bolts that hold the thermostat cover, you just need to remove them and then cover goes off and you can remove your thermostat. Replace the rubber ring, too. Ah, and you have to drain your coolant at least partially before you start!

[IMG]local://upfiles/13167/1E1B5E313CD74250A65ED591D275270A.jpg[/IMG]