HondaCivicForum.com

HondaCivicForum.com (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Internal (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/)
-   -   engine smoking white (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/engine-smoking-white-25407/)

Mark 07-16-2006 12:36 AM

engine smoking white

I was on the highway on my way home from the store and there was traffic so I was going about 60. It has been 100 here for the past few days so I had the air on 3 circulating. About 5 mins from my exit my check engine light comes on. I was thinking oh great what now. I pulled in my driveway about 10 mins later and shut the car off. It smealt real bad like something was burning and when I looked closely there was white smoke coming out of the hood scoop. I popped the hood and it was like that part in the first fast and furious. A huge cloud of smoke came out. The smoke appeard to be coming from the bottom side of the engine near the rear. It has never done this before. Any thoughts? The car is fairly new. Its a 99 rs with 65k miles.

The temp gauge in the car was reading normal. There wasnt any oily residue anywhere on the car. The middle of the crossmember and where the header pipe comes together are coverved with something.

SoCaL.rider 07-16-2006 12:47 AM

RE: engine smoking white

Did you check all hoses? White normally means water, Blue smoke= oil

riceburner700 07-16-2006 04:57 AM

maybe your water pump went out? or something realted to cooling or maybe the intake manifold cracked around the part that has cooling running through it...

Mark 07-16-2006 11:47 AM

Well oil is covering the bottom of the header pipe but it could have been from when the oil was changed. I dont even know where the water pump is in that car. I forgot to check the hoses so I guess that is next.

honda_tuner90 05-08-2007 09:03 AM

well i hav a blue smoke problem. is there any additives i should try? Or does this just mean i need to piston rings?

MY99SI 05-08-2007 10:36 AM

compression test and/or leakdown test. that'll determine wheither or not your rings are going...

but i'de put my money that you could have cracked the head if it overheated bad enough, or a headgasket could have went out.. but i'de put that as a doubt to me.

Forty04 05-08-2007 11:50 AM

Sounds like either a really bad coolant leak, or a blown headgasket. Check your oil and see if its milky.

What color is the "stuff" that you see dripping?

honda_tuner90 05-17-2007 05:40 AM

i just changed the oil not to long ago and it looks fine when i check it. And it only realy smokes when i get my rpms up. Other than that, it doesnt realy smoke.

Fiirkan 05-17-2007 05:51 AM

THREAD FROM THE DEAD!!!!!!!!

geeze Tony i am suprised you didn't see that, losing your edge in you old age:D

Well i didn't see that he was having a blue smoke problem

riceburner700 05-17-2007 03:57 PM

boxer engines in the subys are known to have the water pumps go out right around 60k-75k my gues would be that 98% of your leak is from y our water pump