HondaCivicForum.com

HondaCivicForum.com (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Internal (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/)
-   -   Engine swap or modification(Is it worth it??) (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/engine-swap-modification-worth-721/)

terraeisa 07-21-2004 03:57 PM

Engine swap or modification(Is it worth it??)

My question is how many parts of an upgrade for increasing power can you use on a stock 90 Civic engine, that eventually will be replaced with a b16, can transfer to the b16? Or would you just recommend the upgrade on the b16 engine?

polo708 07-21-2004 04:37 PM

RE: Engine swap or modification(Is it worth it??)

just go with the upgrade...

Exhaust will be fine, suspension, stuff like that. Intake, pulleys, anything mounting to the motor will be different. Someone correct me if I'm wrong... Im not totally on the up and up with the 90's civi

sacicons 07-21-2004 08:29 PM

yeah, just go with the exhaust, suspension and brakes. that way the car will be off to a good start when you get the motor. a short ram intake should fit both engines, an adjustable fuel regulator and fuel pressure gauge, and a V-AFC should be ok. by the way, the fpr is actually used to LOWER fuel pressure from the stock level. the stock computer runs a little rich and you can lean it out and get a little more power. just go run back to back quarter mile runs lowering it a little at a time until your times stop improving. if you get the V-AFC, then move the VTEC engagment point over the redline of your stock engine, then when you do your swap, you can just re-tune it. also BTW, get it tuned on a dyno. we killed our times with the 00 SI by not getting it tuned, cost us over half a second

terraeisa 07-22-2004 01:33 PM

Okay, it seems as if I would benefit the most finding a B16 and modify it. Where should I start to look? How much should I expect to pay for it? Do I need to swap out the trans?

sacicons 07-22-2004 05:14 PM

if you are in a pollution controlle dstate, you may want to reconsider the b16 idea. you will have a hell of a time smogging it in california. if you are in cali, go with a b18a out of a 90-93 integra ls, or if you really want vtec, go with the hard-to-find b17 from a 92-93 integra gsr. if you are not in california, go ahead with the b16a. you can get them on ebay, from a local shop, online warehouses, just do a google search for b16a1. you will need to get the b16a"1", it will be the easiest swap into your car, and is significantly cheaper than the a2. just make sure the tranny that comes with it is cable actuated, not hydrolic. ive seen b16a1s go for as low as 12-1300, expect to pay a little more though, around 1500 and a little more for small pieces you dont even think about and problems that will arise. I spent about 800 bucks besides the motor swap itself in radiators, water pump, timing belt, hoses, sensors, things like that. i think i spent more on that stuff than average, but you never know. i know a few people who've gotten the ls into crxs for about 2000 installed, that car with a couple of bolt-ons ran a 14.6, so the motor is very potent, even without vtec. Good Luck, and come back with any Q's for the swap.