HondaCivicForum.com

HondaCivicForum.com (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Internal (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/)
-   -   Engine troubles (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/engine-troubles-45284/)

b_rice burner 05-28-2007 06:18 PM

Engine troubles

I have a 1989 civic hatchback. It is burning a lot of oil. I think its the pistons. Is there any way to know for sure? Also the eingine is new just messed pistons. Should i still replace the engine or buy new pistons and have them installed? any advice helps a lot!

riceburner700 05-28-2007 07:42 PM

RE: Engine troubles

have a compression test done, if you have a bad cylinder poor a teaspoon of oil into that cylinder and repeat the test, if the numbers come back up your rings are whats bad

b_rice burner 05-28-2007 07:55 PM

thanks i can check that.. so do you think it could just be a replace on the pistons? but you always seem to be the one to help. haha also still on the b18a i found onne at 500 is that a reasonable price it has 70000+ miles?

riceburner700 05-28-2007 08:00 PM

if it "is" your rings what i would do is get over bored pistons .020 with rings and have a machine shop bore out your cylinder walls so you have a nice round cylinder. That way when you break in the new rings and cylinder walls everything is nice and round and you arnt trying to form a new ring into a worn out cylinder wall

b_rice burner 05-28-2007 08:02 PM

ok ya that makes more sense.. since i have done all of the interior and ex except the engine this should work great im also lookin to put a turbo into it. so again i ask should i beef up the engine or will the new pistons and cylinder work on the increased compression?

riceburner700 05-28-2007 08:34 PM

if you are gonna build it for a good amount of boost, throw some forged aftermarket .020 pistons and eagle rods into it, new bearings. slap some arp headstuds in the block and that will support over 300 hp easily, which is plenty

b_rice burner 05-28-2007 08:38 PM

ya thata is so it sounds great i will do the shopping and thanks once again.. Also what would you advice to do as the most significant on the car performance wise? i am just working solely on performance now. so what top things to do first?

riceburner700 05-28-2007 08:42 PM

build the motor from the inside out. its easier to add parts onto the outside of the motor like manifolds, cams etc. its harder to take a motor out to change something than adding something while its in the car.

b_rice burner 05-28-2007 08:53 PM

o so buy all i need for the inside like cams pistons and that stuff then while its out install all at once.. Then focus on oustide like turbo and exhaust and intake like that right?

riceburner700 05-29-2007 06:20 AM

yes that is correct