HondaCivicForum.com

HondaCivicForum.com (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Internal (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/)
-   -   Few questions about boosting a D17 (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/few-questions-about-boosting-d17-89279/)

Douggyfr3sh 06-12-2011 03:04 PM

Few questions about boosting a D17

Hello everyone. I have been researching turbo kits for the D17A1 engine, and I have a few questions. I am thinking about boosting my 2001 Civic LX [EM2]. I don't need insane power, but just want a fun, reliable daily driver. 200 WHP would be good, 220+ would be excellent. I want to get a turbo kit which is as bolt-on as possible. I will also probably only need an initial tune. I found only one decent looking kit and it is on procivic:

Honda Civic Turbo Specialties (TSI) D Series Extreme Turbo Kit

my plan is to purchase a short shifter, a catback exhaust, and this header with high-flow cat:

Honda Civic MagnaFlow Headers w/ High-Flow Catalytic Converter

After these items are installed I will order a turbo kit. Here are my questions for you:

-Does it make sense to install and run a header, high flow cat, and catback exhaust for a while before getting the turbo? Will I notice any power gain?

-if I purchase the turbo kit, it comes with fuel management options. I can use TSI's proprietary system which is pre programmed out of the box and includes a turbo timer, or I can use AEM's F/IC, which would require some tuning but is recommended by procivic (it can provide increased HP gain). Any thoughts or comments on this? Would the power gain difference make it worth getting the F/IC?

-As far as I know (I'm a noob), the only thing I need in addition to this turbo kit is new spark plugs. For ~200 whp em2 civic, should I upgrade any other motor or drive train components?

-A little off topic, but I may decide to upgrade brakes/suspension before boosting. I live in Maine, so I would really rather not lower my car much (if at all). Is there a good way to stiffen up handling without lowering? Also, if I put a set of coilovers on my civic, would adding strut/sway bars do anything significant?

Thanks so much for any help, and I hope my post isn't too silly. I'm here to learn!

CLIFFS:
-want to turbo stock D17
-~200 whp is goal
-want fun reliable daily driver
-this car will be an ICE beast and not a speed demon
-help!

WellFedHobo 06-12-2011 03:14 PM

Brother, I'm gonna be straight with you...

The D17 platform sucks. It sucks for boost, it sucks stock, and it generally sucks. You would be much happier with a K swapped Civic.

That's just my $0.02

cvcrcr99 06-12-2011 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by Douggyfr3sh (Post 758675)
After these items are installed I will order a turbo kit. Here are my questions for you:

-Does it make sense to install and run a header, high flow cat, and catback exhaust for a while before getting the turbo? Will I notice any power gain?

Not worth doing anything before the turbo. You'll end up replacing everything once the kit goes in.

-if I purchase the turbo kit, it comes with fuel management options. I can use TSI's proprietary system which is pre programmed out of the box and includes a turbo timer, or I can use AEM's F/IC, which would require some tuning but is recommended by procivic (it can provide increased HP gain). Any thoughts or comments on this? Would the power gain difference make it worth getting the F/IC?
IMO, if you can find a tuner, yes the better ECU would be nice. higher resale value down the road, and if you ever want to change anything, you can. With the base map tune thing, you are set as is. Also, when the seasons change, the intake temps usually change, requiring you to sometimes re-tune the car.

-As far as I know (I'm a noob), the only thing I need in addition to this turbo kit is new spark plugs. For ~200 whp em2 civic, should I upgrade any other motor or drive train components?
Search around. See what other people are running. Another Honda site which would be good for info is honda-tech.com. Also, we have a list of everything you will need, might need, or might want for a turbo kit. Look through the stickies in the forced induction section.

-A little off topic, but I may decide to upgrade brakes/suspension before boosting. I live in Maine, so I would really rather not lower my car much (if at all). Is there a good way to stiffen up handling without lowering? Also, if I put a set of coilovers on my civic, would adding strut/sway bars do anything significant?
Better suspension can help with keeping traction when taking off. However, this is not necessary. Strut and sway bars will help when taking corners.

Douggyfr3sh 06-12-2011 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by WellFedHobo (Post 758678)
Brother, I'm gonna be straight with you...

The D17 platform sucks. It sucks for boost, it sucks stock, and it generally sucks. You would be much happier with a K swapped Civic.

That's just my $0.02

Yeah, I know, but I just want to run very light boost and have a fun daily driver. If money grew on trees then I would definitely do the K swap, but from what I have read it seems extremely expensive. If I could get a lightly used (<60k miles) K-series engine installed for ~3-3.5k this might be an option.

cvcrcr, thanks so much for the info. I will check out Honda-tech when I have some time.

reaper2022 06-14-2011 01:32 PM

Under $4k could be a possibility if you can do the work yourself and can find someone parting out a wrecked RSX/EP3. Even ordering a swap kit has gotten a lot cheaper in the last few years. I'd say the k20A2 could possibly be as cheap as a GSR swap in a few years.