HondaCivicForum.com

HondaCivicForum.com (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Internal (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/)
-   -   Fuel system maintainence/upgrades on 97 DX (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/fuel-system-maintainence-upgrades-97-dx-74047/)

the_honda_guy 03-08-2009 04:33 PM

Fuel system maintainence/upgrades on 97 DX

So, here's my list:

Seafoam entire fuel system
Check fuel system for proper operation, leaks, and wear
Perform fuel pressure test
Honda OEM fuel filter
Honda OEM gas filler tube cap
Install Marshall fuel pressure gauge into stock fuel filter using brass fitting, OEM crush washers, and 3M thread tape

The only other mods I could perform would be to swap the fuel pump, swap the fuel rail, upgrade injectors, change the fuel map, swap fuel pressure regulators, and upgrade to stainless lines. Obviously I don't need to swap the fuel pump with another because it's pointless on this near stock DD and the OEM pump works perfectly for this application. Generally, aftermarket fuel rails are just bling since the stock one can support well over 400 HP and they won't have any added advantage. No need to upgrade injectors when this car is near stock and won't see boost or a change in cam or anything like that. Fuel map doesn't need changed due to small mods being performed. No need for stainless lines either since they won't do anything for me and are basically just bling. No need to upgrade the FPR either since the car will see little mods, and won't require any tuning. Basically my reason for installing the gauge is so that I don't have to install one when I want to pressure test the system, and it'll help to keep an eye on what the fuel pump is doing as the car ages. I was thinking of doing a gauge in the interior, but if I do any gauges, it'll be a 3 gauge A-pillar with oil pressure, voltometer, and vacuum. The fuel pressure isn't quite as important since I'll have one under the hood.

Any other upgrades or maintainence I'm missing?

RonJ 03-08-2009 06:07 PM

Hi Honda_Guy and welcome to HCF.

I think you have an excellent and ambitious plan to maintain and upgrade the fuel system. Please keep us updated on your progress so we can share in your learning. Photos would especially increase our enjoyment of watching your progress.

the_honda_guy 03-08-2009 06:21 PM

Thankfully all of it's done besides installing the fuel pressure gauge.

All I'm waiting for is for the gauge to arrive so I can find a fitting for it. I did a little looking and saw that Russel makes the fitting, but it only comes in aluminum. I would rather use a brass fitting instead. I also found the part number for the fitting that Honda uses to check fuel pressure at the filter. Once the gauge comes in I'm going to take it to the dealership and check if that fitting has the same thread pitch as the gauge and if it does I'll be ordering one of them and a couple brass crush washers from Honda to go with it and finish it off with some 3M teflon thread tape. :)

the_honda_guy 03-09-2009 03:06 PM

Alright then, after tomorrow I'll have my gauge in and can find the fitting for it and pick up some crush washers to seal it. Other than that the fuel system is all done. :)