HondaCivicForum.com

HondaCivicForum.com (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Internal (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/)
-   -   future civic engine swap? (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/future-civic-engine-swap-93898/)

hellcomer52 08-09-2012 04:03 PM

future civic engine swap?

right so this is a bit of a long question but here goes, i currently live in the republic of Ireland and plan on living here for most of the foreseeable future im currently 17 and will be turning 18 in February and plan on getting a car soon, my ideal car would be a Honda civic between 95 and 2000 (ek,ej,em) now i don't plan on doing a whole lot of performance tuning when i get the car for a couple of years some small aesthetic bits here and there but noting major due mainly to insurance etc etc. but when the time comes i would hopefully look and doing an engine swap i have been looking around and the engine that most appeals to me is a k20a, now the few questions i have for you are as follows.
1: is there a major difference between a k20a and a k20a type r engine?
2: any idea roughly how much an engine like that is going to cost me to run per annum?
3: if i were to decide to purchase a k20a type r where should i search? from what i know there quite limited engines and i cant seem to find out much about them..
4:how easily is his thing gonna fit into a standard Honda civic bay?
5: how much is the actual engine plus parts going to cost me roughly?
6: and finally any other suggestions on other engines?
i know its a bit of a long winded question but there you go any answers or a guiding hand would be very much appreciated thanks for your time!
sincerely, a young and relatively unknowledgeable but interested 17 year old kid!

cvcrcr99 08-10-2012 06:53 AM

1. No clue. I think these are RSX motors, not Civic motors. I am sure wikipedia.org will list the differences. You need to figure out what the type r motor engine code is though. I thought is was k20a, but I could be wrong.

2. Research

3. I guess try to find an American JDM motor place like Specializing in JDM-USDM Engines & Parts...hmotorsonline.com. Shipping is going to kill your wallet I bet.

4. Depends on what parts you buy for the swap, and how mechanically inclined you are when the swap is performed.

5. Research I provided a link to an engine place above.

6. Nope. It is all a preference thing. I have an H22a, ALOT of people swap in B series since it is easier though.

Shandles 08-12-2012 02:04 PM

1. yes. The RSX type s engine is the k20a2 and the type R is just known as the k20a.

2. what? gas mileage? or how much the engine itself costs?

3. google. hmotorsonline is a popular site for engine swaps.

4. fits fine. these swaps are popular as hell.

5. see my answer to number 3.

6. I agree with cvcrcr99. B series is probably the easiest swap. Easiest power gain? just turbo-charging your d-series... IMO.

BA_Civic 10-14-2012 02:06 PM

Hey guys,
I am on the verge of replacing a D16Y7 in my 97 Civic DX. I have not had any luck finding the exact replacement. What I have run across is a D15B motor/tranny from the same years(96-00) for pretty cheap. I am not looking for HP just a drop in economical quick fix. I'll hit you guys up when I am ready to rebuild the D16Y7 for the candy. I am new to this so any input would be greatly apprceiated. I am mechanically inclined so not new to car repairs, just engine replacements. Here are a few questions that I have:

- Will the D15B work in regards to the OBDII and ECU that I already have for the D16Y7?
- Will there be any mods to the exhaust by installing the D15B unit?
- With a Jp used motor I found that a lot of the sensor/manifolds have to be swapped over. Where can I find that information?

Again any input is appreciated. I look forward to feedback from the experts here. Once I get started I'll try to post my progress. I enjoy reading, and have in the past, the build project. My turn to repay.

Thx in advance.

cvcrcr99 10-14-2012 03:03 PM

^^Make your own thread or research