HondaCivicForum.com

HondaCivicForum.com (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Internal (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/)
-   -   Gas/Engine Problem? (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/gas-engine-problem-70553/)

nitika 10-10-2008 08:35 PM

Gas/Engine Problem?

I was driving my 98 Civic today. I drove it about 50 miles to pick up a friend and on the ride home I went to give it a lil gas and it slowly started to slow down...as if the engine wasnt getting any gas. So I tried to give it gas..and it wouldnt go. I ended up pulling over. It acted as though I ran out of gas. But had just had it filled up (and had the oil changed about a month ago). It would turn over but not start. I had to get it towed home. What is wrong. Honda's are suppose to be good cars.

trustdestruction 10-10-2008 11:26 PM

Alright, first of all...
1. Honda's are good cars.
2. If you don't fully maintain your vehicle, no matter who made it, it will have problems once in a while.

Could be fuel filter or possibly something to do with ignition.
Is the engine getting spark?

knoxville 10-11-2008 01:27 AM

yes, they are supposed to be..don't know why people think that, i work in a garage and they tend to have more problems than anything.

_________
Lakewood

nitika 10-11-2008 01:43 AM

hey thanks for ur info guys.:)

trustdestruction 10-11-2008 02:02 AM

Originally Posted by knoxville (Post 595322)
yes, they are supposed to be..don't know why people think that, i work in a garage and they tend to have more problems than anything.

because for some reason some people assume that because it's a honda it doesn't need regular maintenance, and they don't do it and a problem happens

RonJ 10-11-2008 05:56 AM

Originally Posted by knoxville (Post 595322)

You may have this impression due to the very large number of Civics/Hondas on the road.

OP: If you happen to rule out a problem with fuel (main relay/filter/pump) or spark (coil/ICM), then check whether the timing belt slipped a tooth or two.

addiction2bass 10-11-2008 06:04 AM

also small problems add up to larger problems!!!!

the 2-3things it might be is the fuel pump might have went out-no fuel pressure.
or the coil burned out which is defiantly a weak link on a honda!
or 3 not so common the fuel filter is clogged up and needs changed.

first check for spark. unplug 1 spark plug wire and get a tester for it to ensure it has a spark when cranking. and USE THE TOOL or at least a spark plug on the wire, if you try to just put the wire up to a metal spot and try to spark it it will definatly trash the coil! been there done that to a friends 94civic while doing a compresson test, car even drove ruffly 3-4miles away before the coil completly gave out!

gwl 10-16-2008 06:54 PM

Maybe you got some bad gas.