Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Got I/H/E what next?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2007, 10:16 AM
formerly aryiman98civic
Default RE: Got I/H/E what next?

what motor is in your car? i would suggest maybe buying a spare shortblock and start building that up for how you want it for later.

Old 04-17-2007, 04:09 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: aryiman98civic

what motor is in your car? i would suggest maybe buying a spare shortblock and start building that up for how you want it for later.
I have a y8, thats sounds like a good idea. I'm going to start college to become a certified honda mechanic in the fall, so I could work on it while I learn on the way....My plan sort of, is to do some mods to this engine that won't bust my wallet too bad. Then after a few years and hopefully done with college when I'm getting more cash. I'll swap my engine for another like a b16 because by then my engine will prolly be on the way out anyways. But i'm not tottaly sure.

Old 04-17-2007, 05:10 PM
HCF Member

well actually the pulleys helped out a lot. they didnt waste any energy or anything on battery. It spins the altenator etc faster than the stock pulleys did b/c the unorthodox of course is a lot lighter than stock. And yeah if you get a cam shaft def. get a cam gear. Its not to bad to tune as long as you advance or retard your camgear. I had to advance mine a couple of degrees to run really good etc.

and AEM are awsome pulley set to. Either or will be good buy.

Old 04-17-2007, 05:15 PM
Eun

d'you drop it already?
I say engine swap

Old 04-17-2007, 06:11 PM
formerly aryiman98civic

ORIGINAL: Live_4it

ORIGINAL: aryiman98civic

I have a y8, thats sounds like a good idea. I'm going to start college to become a certified honda mechanic in the fall, so I could work on it while I learn on the way....My plan sort of, is to do some mods to this engine that won't bust my wallet too bad. Then after a few years and hopefully done with college when I'm getting more cash. I'll swap my engine for another like a b16 because by then my engine will prolly be on the way out anyways. But i'm not tottaly sure.
i would not waste my time with the y8 if your just going to end up swapping it out, i would just save up for a short block and then build that, then get the rest of the swap you need.

Old 04-17-2007, 06:15 PM
HCF Member

i say go on a diet and lose about 20 lbs., that should be the equivilent of about 1-2 hp (seriously, it is)

Old 04-17-2007, 11:45 PM

^ I'm sure most of us could spare a few pounds anyway.

Cam, remove AC, pulleys, light flywheel (7-9lbs), exedy stage 1 clutch, OBX LSD, light wheels, sticky tires, as much weight as you can shed, upgraded IHE if your's aren't great, and a tune.

Old 04-19-2007, 04:57 PM
HCF Member

Ya, next what I'll prolly do is get some underdrive pulleys and a cam gear together. Together I would imagine they would atleast free up 3-5hp, the pulleys alone they sayproject that much. I would get all three pulleys not just one. You think the hp numbers are worth the price? That would prolly be around $200-$300 dollars for the cam gear and pulleys.

Old 04-19-2007, 09:20 PM

Cam gear won't do **** but give you adjustability, which you really don't need unless you really modify your engine.

Old 04-19-2007, 10:32 PM
HCF Member

So should I get stuff like an after market intake manifold andThrottle body First befor thinking about a cam gear?

Would I need a new belt for the underdrive pulleys?

Quick Reply: Got I/H/E what next?