Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

govenor..(speed limitor) ???

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2004, 11:28 PM
Default govenor..(speed limitor) ???

I know all vehicles have a speed limitor because the car is set for the type of tires you have...its cause of a safety cause i guess...but my truck will start backing out at about 90 mph..when i get a civic is this going to be a factor? i have asked around about ways to take this off or set it higher on my truck but the only way i see its possible is to get a new computer chip....does anyone have any follow up on this??? i would highly appreciate it...thanx

Old 06-20-2004, 03:42 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: govenor..(speed limitor) ???

You'll have the same problem with thte civic, but it wont be set so low... somewhere between 110-130 I think. Yeah, a new chip or a programmable ECU will get ride of that. How fast do you plan on driving?

Old 06-21-2004, 05:05 AM

I don't think the Civic has a speed limiter though.

The A'PEXi Rev/Speed meter can remove the speed limiter without changing your whole ECU. A'PEXi made that because in Japan, all Japanese cars, even their sport cars has a limiter to 180kmh.

Old 06-21-2004, 07:37 AM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: NYC Civic

in Japan, all Japanese cars, even their sport cars has a limiter to 180kmh.
who told you that... mine (skyline) and my wifes car (Toyota Carina) in Japan would do over that without any modification.

Old 06-21-2004, 01:46 PM

Because my relative & friends out in Asia always buy cars from Japan. Well, that's the only way to get the best car out there. They're all told me that when they tested the car, it has only 180kmh top speed.

Old 06-21-2004, 02:16 PM
NTX
HCF Member

All vehicles are goverend. From civics to ferraris. All over the world (unless removed by the owner).

Old 06-21-2004, 02:21 PM

I don't think all vehicles are governed. I know Mercedes Benz & BMW has their cars top speed limited to 155mph worldwide. My Prelude can do 145mph at the engine RPM almost pretty much near the redline, around 7000RPM on 5th gear. I don't think there is a limiter on a Prelude here in the U.S but few friends of mine who has a JDM ECU on their Prelude, they can only do 115mph top speed & the RPM was still not anywhere near the redline yet.

Old 06-21-2004, 02:27 PM
NTX
HCF Member

The limits may be different from place to place...but no manufacturer sells nongoverned vehicles.

Old 06-21-2004, 02:36 PM

Are you sure about that? When you're pretty much reaching the redline at top gear, I don't see how it has the speed limiter on it. It's from the gearing but I don't see how the gear ratio count as a speed limiter.

Old 06-21-2004, 03:17 PM
NTX
HCF Member

If there was no limit, your be able to run through redline in the top gear (thats why vehicles are limited). Manufacturers do it as a way to prolong engine life. Some countries allow for higher top speeds, so civics from different places may have different limits but none would be set to run wide open.

Quick Reply: govenor..(speed limitor) ???