HondaCivicForum.com

HondaCivicForum.com (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Internal (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/)
-   -   GSR Swap in '93 hatch (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/gsr-swap-93-hatch-25901/)

kobal 07-23-2006 09:18 PM

GSR Swap in '93 hatch

I've just acquired a '93 DX Hatchback, something I've wanted since they came out. This is my first Japanese car. I'm a tranny tech at a local GMC dealer, so I have all the tools and equipment available to me to do an engine swap in this car; all I need is a basic list of the parts required to do it. I've been told that (other than the engine, tranny, and ECU) I'll need to buy axles, mounts and some suspension components to do the job properly. If anyone can give me a complete list (with part numbers, preferrably;) ), I'd be much obliged.

So far I was able to find a company who sells these motors complete with transmissions and computers and with low mileage on eBay for around 3 grand. Is this a good price? Should I look elsewhere? Are there any complications I should be aware of when doing the swap? Are there any more questions I should be asking?

Chips 07-23-2006 11:29 PM

RE: GSR Swap in '93 hatch

This site has a good list of requirements for engine swaps, and from what I've heard it's pretty accurate. This site and this site both have great complete engines for really cheap. There is also a lot of info on this forum already posted if you look for it. Good luck!

riceburner700 07-24-2006 12:01 AM

dont forget a engine wiring harness!

kobal 07-24-2006 08:07 PM

Thank you very much! I can't tell you how helpful this has been already.

Okay, so now I'm looking at that B18C5-R integra motor. The guide says I need "axles" and a "halfshaft" in addition to the more obvious parts. Firstly, I was under the impression that a halfshaft was the inner part of a CV axle assembly. Is this different on Hondas or am I missing something?; Second, any idea which "axles" I need to get?

kobal 07-24-2006 08:17 PM

Found axles on eBay, but no answer yet on the halfshaft deal...

sacicons 07-24-2006 11:29 PM

the halfshaft is the bar that comes out of the drivers side of the trans that bolts to the engine and gives a place for the drivers side cv axle to connect to, making the axles closer to the same length to reduce torque steer.

Nail I3unny 07-25-2006 03:42 PM

you dont need to change the engine mounts to drop a B into that year civ. your stock mounts will line up fine.

kobal 07-25-2006 08:56 PM

So this is a stock replacement part then? I suppose I need to look closer at the setup to understand better, but I get the drift. Honda transmissions don't have extension housings similar to american ones, do they?

No, no they don't. I just saw a picture of this "halfshaft". Can't tell you how different this Japanese stuff is to what I'm used to... trans is on the wrong side, still using distributors.....;)

Nail I3unny 07-25-2006 11:33 PM

well yeah still using dizzys...you're talking about a 13y/o car