HondaCivicForum.com

HondaCivicForum.com (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Internal (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/)
-   -   H23A1 into a '97 civic DX coupe? (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/h23a1-into-97-civic-dx-coupe-61167/)

Blue Canon 02-20-2008 05:31 PM

H23A1 into a '97 civic DX coupe?

I have been looking for an engine for my civic, cause I'm losing oil like crazy (up to 2L a week) by the time I do the rings, I might as well have gotten a new engine... Just today I found a 94ish?... Prelude, that has an H23A1 engine swap. The car's not much to look at, and needs a new windshield, but the engine sounds in good shape. Looks like it needs a new exhaust manifold gasket (or entire manifold maybe) but they want $500CDN. It's in a police impound lot, lol. Would this engine (and trans.)fit in my civic? My friend's dad is a mechanic, so labour and a shop aren't an issue. Things like mounts, etc, i'll need. Any suggestions?

jamned 02-20-2008 08:27 PM

RE: H23A1 into a '97 civic DX coupe?

$500 is a great price. I'd love to have an H series engine for that much. Most people don't want to do an H-series swap because it doesn't drop into a civic like a B-Series does. You'd need new mounts. You miiight need some custom exhaust piping.

If you do decide to go with this swap, please post some updates. I'd love to know what you need and anything that might crop up.

Blue Canon 02-21-2008 05:09 AM

Yeah sure, I'll try and do pics and stuff. I just wanted to make sure it could in fact be done before I go ahead and spend the money. Sucks bein a student sometimes. Will I run into any issues with wiring or anything? As in need new wiring harnesses and such, or is it mostly just plug-and-play?

Blue Canon 02-21-2008 05:16 AM

and the trans as well, will there be any issues fitting that in? This engine is HUGE compared to my little D16Y7.

Lost 02-21-2008 07:17 AM

Ok, you will need mounts, ecu, harness, axles, shifter box from the prelude. Your D16Y7 is a hydro (rods) transmission, the prelude is cable. Great price for everything if the engine still runs and has good compression. The H23 is non-vtec and makes about 160 hp. This swap isnt just plug and play, you NEED to make sure you get the cables from the shifter to line up perfect or you will have shifting problems. There is a hole that need to be cut into the firewall so the cables can get through. I will try to post some how-to's later for you. But I think you should be fun as you have the entire car to take parts from.

Blue Canon 02-21-2008 09:46 AM

OK, great. I just wanted to make sure it could in fact be done... before I spent the money. I'm gonna have a chat with my mechaninc tonight. I'll keep everyone posted on the swap, hopefully pics and video.