HondaCivicForum.com

HondaCivicForum.com (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Internal (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/)
-   -   handling higher horse power (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/handling-higher-horse-power-6695/)

syrusstephens 06-23-2005 12:59 AM

handling higher horse power

i was wondering wat parts do u ppl recommend for handling higher horsepowers? i was thinking arounf 450-500 range. ive seen a lot of parts by AEM, Injen, Skunk2 Racing, and GReddy but can their cheaper parts handle the horsepower? im looking for intake manifolds, fuel systems, cams, cam gears and clutches

Street Sniper 06-23-2005 10:40 PM

RE: handling higher horse power

Bulletproof

Good luck. Let us know how your 500 horse Civic turns out. Don't forget pics.

LEVIII 06-23-2005 11:15 PM

Deffinatly need an LSD and prob some traction bars too.

Nail I3unny 06-24-2005 03:44 PM

i thot an LSD virtually eliminated the need for traction bars?

sacicons 06-24-2005 08:07 PM

they are totally separate things. they do about the same amount of good, but with both of them, you can launch REALLY hard.

Nail I3unny 06-24-2005 08:18 PM

oh i was under the impression that an LSD reduced body roll to a point where you didnt need them.

LEVIII 06-24-2005 08:25 PM

I would mainly suggest them for andling more than launching, even though they do a very good job of that too!!

Nail I3unny 06-24-2005 09:43 PM

what about those launch controll systems? arent those in the same league as LSD's? i know (basically) what they do...does anyone have any info on those?

sacicons 06-25-2005 01:19 AM

they are both intended to help traction. but that where the similarity ends. the LSD basically locks the axles together so that power can go to both wheels. the traction bars help keep the front of the car from flexing, and that helps keep the tires on the road. if it flexs, then it can take enough weight off of one side to let that wheel spin (even with an LSD, since its a limited slip, not a locker). launch control isnt really all that great for an NA car. it just breaks stuff, but it can help make you more consistent. but on a turbo car, it limits the revs to a preset launch speed while the clutch is pushed in. that way you can have the throttle all the way open, allowing the turbo to be completely (or nearly so) spooled, so that when you let out the clutch , you are basically making your maximum torque. great if you HAVE the traction. worthless if you dont. its more for getting the power to get you out of the hole faster, not the traction to.

syrusstephens 06-25-2005 01:37 AM

hmmm LSD huh? yea i nvr thought about the traction bars tho, ill look into that. anymore suggestions?