Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

HELP!! CAR BrOKEN INTO!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2006, 10:09 AM
Recognized HCF Member
Default RE: HELP!! CAR BrOKEN INTO!!!

forgot to say ya you can twist the wires together.. thiers several ways to go about it...

crimping the wire two ways one way is a straight thru crimp plug one wire goes on one side and other wire goes in the other...
another is just a single crimp where ya cram both wires into what looks like a twist cap.
and of course either way using ELECTRICAL TAPE to cover the whole thing up.

another way which is always highly recomended.......... soldering and heat shrinking tubes.
which explains itself... slide the heat shrink tube over one wire, solder the wires together then slide the heat shrink tube over the solder joint and any exposed wire and a lighter or heat gun to shrink the shield over the wire conection which is always the best!!!!!!!! no worries about it EVER coming loose and NEVER shortening out on anything!

and the poor/lazy mans way would just be twist the wires together and tape em over... if your gonna do it this way then think about it!!!!!!!
when i pulled out my radio when i got my car the CHEAP @SS that instaled the radio had done this... just twisted the wires together and only used about a inch or less of electrical tape on each joint.... well the wires were only striped back 1/4inch or less so the wires were not twisted together tightly and the electrical tape was not even on the wires anymore and most of the wires where fully exposed REALY CLOSE to the steel cage and radios metal casing just screaming to short out!!!!!!!!!!!!

only thing good i can say about my cars past radio instal was at least he was smart enough to use a aftermarket harness adaptor and didnt chop the original wires!!!!!!

but again proper way to twist and tape is strip back the wires bare a good ways... about a inch or two... and when twisting them hold both wires in one hand. then keep one of the wires straight and twist the other wire around it.. then after a few twists reverse it and hold that wire straight and twist the other around it and vis versa until your fully twisted... then twist the twisted wires back in half and straighten out the wires and start your electrical tape on the wire before ya get to the striped part that way its way back on the wire fully covering any wire strands then go ober the wire all the way to the other end... same as ya started...
NOW at least your wire conections will be alittle strong and not fall apart... or short out onto the radio or anything else bare metal behind your dash!
ALSO once your done tape all the wires up SOLID together and for alittle extra safe you can tape the wires and you canh even use ZIP TIES to hold em together...and also the factory/aftermarket plugs around eachother... that way they cannt just be simply unpluged and removed...... well AT LEAST... they will have to buy a new radio harness to your radio if they wanna use it or sell it. cause thats the only plug i dont see being able to lock it onto the radio unfortunatly!

ive done the poor/lazy mans twist and tape alot when instaling stuff... not realy a bad thing but thiers beter ways for a more trouble free for LIFETIME instal. even tho youll probably never keep that car or at least not that same radio in the car. for more than a few years.LOL
it works just be sure to tape em and twist em up good!

think about it in a thieves mind..... he wants IN AND OUT and gone ASAP he will rip and pry anything he can and try to remove it. but the metal strap behind it and the wires all tied up that will **** him off and he will get scared and run off empty handed... or iwth some cds or the face plate if ya left it on the radio...

but before ya replace the radio i would say get a alarm first!!!!!!!! doesnt have to be anything realy special... just has to work! and dont display the alarm stickers that come with the alarms! that basicaly just tells them what alarm they have to rip out or disable. just makes it easier on them!

Old 07-22-2006, 08:45 PM

Thanks for all the great advice!! Heres the pic I tried to put on before, I don't know why it didn't work then. I honestly do not know anything about these wires, I've never done audio install before. I am thinking of ordering from Crutchfield and seeing if the instructions they give will help me to the level I need.

[IMG]local://upfiles/8706/B6ACA4426CFC493E927D9C858BE6F2E8.jpg[/IMG]

Old 07-22-2006, 10:04 PM
Recognized HCF Member

dang that picture is HORIBLE! i cannt see any any wires good enough to tell how bad it is...

but wiring up aftermarket radios have gotten realy easy lately!!!!!!
more of a universal wire colors! so you simply match the wires from the aftermarket harness to your aftermarket radios harness and simply plug it into your stock harness plug.....

try to get a better picture if you can....