HondaCivicForum.com

HondaCivicForum.com (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Internal (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/)
-   -   HELP!! Heater PROBLEMS. (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/help-heater-problems-72351/)

jrestrepo589 12-22-2008 03:07 PM

HELP!! Heater PROBLEMS.

okay so anyways let me start from the beginning so you guys can really help me.

My 1996 honda civic had oil in the engine, so i went and bought one. I received the engine and took it to my mechanic. When i got there he told me that the was the incorrect engine and it was not a 1.6 sohc OBDII. instead it was a 1.5 sohc OBDI. but he told me that he it was still possible to put the engine in and that it was still gonna run fine. so i gave him the "go ahead" he got it done, he told me the only thing he had to swap from the old engine to the new one was the intake manifold and he re-did some wiring. so after that the car ran fine with no problems. after a few months the check engine light turned on and the car was choking/pulling only when i was at a low speed (under 20mph). so i took it to another mechanic near my home and had him put the machine to check for the code. he told me it was the tps or the map sensor. something like that. but he cleared the CEL. so i spoke with my mechanic to see what he thought bout it and he told me it was either the map sensor or the IACV. so i went on ebay and purchased the IACV for a 96 civic. A few months passed and the CEL went on again so this time i took it back to MY mechanic and he looked at it and he told me that it was the pressure sensor. he told me it wasnt a big deal, just to get it replaced when ever. so he cleared the CEL.
just today i took it to a mechanci once again because my heater doesnt work on number 1 or 2, only on 3 and 4. and also the heater doesnt get hot at all it just stays kind of warm, but my windows are getting really foggy so that was bothering me. the mechanic told me that was clogged up. so they flushed it. the heater still the same. im really pissed off now. now i gotta take it back to them again. and bitch and complain. anyways so this is my whole story. i also spoke to another mechanic about this issue and he told me it could be the heater core or resistor. so what the ****????????!!!!!!

i have not installed anything the mechanics told me because they all say something diferent. and sometimes i honestly dont know wether they are just saying it to say it or telling me the truth. thats why im here on HondaCivicForum.com

CAN YOU GUYS HELP ME PLEASE!!

RonJ 12-22-2008 08:16 PM

1) Make sure that the radiator and reservoir are full of coolant.

2) There's a valve on one of the two heater hoses attached to the firewall. This valve controls the flow of coolant through the heater core. Check whether the valve is fully opened when the heater lever on the dash is pushed to full heat.

jrestrepo589 12-23-2008 05:29 AM

okay. the radiator and reservoir are full of coolant. and the vlave is opened all the way.

RonJ 12-23-2008 05:48 AM

1 Attachment(s)
By the way, if the CEL is still ON, pull the code from the ECU yourself (see CEL link in my signature). Post codes to get feedback.

Does the engine get hot as determined by the temperature gauge in the dash?

Perhaps the heater hose valve is broken (stuck partially open). Remove and inspect.

Try bleeding the cooling system of trapped air. Push the dash heater lever to full heat and then follow these instructions:

Attachment 23085

jrestrepo589 12-23-2008 06:53 AM

:)
this procedure was alaso already done..i checked the hoses and they are all brand new and are not clogged.
also the flush was done already. heater on full blast and there are no leaks. still no heat coming out from the vents. only warm air

RonJ 12-23-2008 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by jrestrepo589 (Post 611945)
:)
this procedure was alaso already done..i checked the hoses and they are all brand new and are not clogged.
also the flush was done already. heater on full blast and there are no leaks. still no heat coming out from the vents. only warm air

Flushing and bleeding the cooling system are different procedures.

If you disconnect the two heater hoses and attempt to force water through the heater core with a garden hose, does water flow freely though it? If not, the heater core may need to be replaced.

jrestrepo589 12-23-2008 07:51 AM

yes it flows perfectly fine

RonJ 12-23-2008 08:09 AM

So either the engine coolant is not getting hot or coolant is obstructed from flowing to the heater core. Those are the two general possibilities.

jrestrepo589 12-23-2008 12:09 PM

so why do you think the coolant wouldnt be getting hot?

RonJ 12-23-2008 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by jrestrepo589 (Post 611989)
so why do you think the coolant wouldnt be getting hot?

It's winter in the Northern Hemisphere. Is it very cold where you live? Is the thermostat stuck open? What does the dash temperature gauge read?