HondaCivicForum.com

HondaCivicForum.com (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Internal (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/)
-   -   How can I gain HP in my 2007 Civic? (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/how-can-i-gain-hp-my-2007-civic-79553/)

dave07civic 11-19-2009 10:51 AM

How can I gain HP in my 2007 Civic?

I have the standard engine (non-SI) and would like to bump up the HP. What are my options? I do not want to change the exhaust, I do not like the sound. How about a cold air intake and chip that alters air/fuel ratio? Anyone have any experience with this? I am not looking to break speed records, just want an increase in HP and I do not want it to be over-involved. Other ideas?Thanks, Dave

dave07civic 11-26-2009 04:09 AM

Did I put my original question in the wrong area? I thought for sure I would be bombarded with responses.

Brock_10 11-26-2009 09:25 AM

You could do a cold air intake, but that not going to give you much HP gain. 1 to 2 HP gain at most.

I would suggest headers, but it sounds like you don't like the sound of those kind of mods.
I don't have any experience with any kind of chips.

Scott53092 11-26-2009 09:32 AM

You would be suprised at what a cold air intake can do, obviously it isn't a huge gain but you can get like 5-8 hp out of a cold air and they are pretty cheap too. Buy an ebay generic kit and put a good brand name filter on it. The stock intake system is meant to be quiet and meet the engines minimal needs, with an intake (especially short ram) you can hear the intake sucking, and the amount and temp of the air is much better than stock. Other basic mods that everyone starts out with is header and exhaust. Now I know you said you don't want to change your exhaust but look into some like the Apexi WS2, I'm nto a fan (too quiet) but it has a deep tone, not much louder than stock, and it's more free-flowing than stock and you get the whole cat back. Chipping a car can get expensive especially when its a newer one such as yours. The big place people on here reccomend is phearable.net but the problem is your car has to be obd1 for them to chip it, and yours has too many sensors/emmisions for it to be tuned well. Overall though research and look into stuff, see what fits your budget and look up reviews and what not.

cvcrcr99 11-26-2009 10:18 AM

OP, how much money do you have to spend? How much experience do you have working with cars? Are you worried about voiding any warranties (does your car still have any factory warranties?)?

IMO, intake/header/exhaust probably won't make many noticeable gains, but will allow you to learn your way around your car a little bit.

I doubt you can chip you ecu, or at least I have never seen/heard about it being done. Do a little research regarding tuning options for your car/motor, they is definitely something out there (but as Scott said, tuning and ecu's can get rather expensive)

Scott mentioned buying an ebay intake and getting a better filter. I would recommend K&N, or an AEM dryflow. You could also get a header, IMO, they don't make the car sound that much louder.

reaper2022 11-26-2009 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by Scott53092 (Post 684894)
obviously it isn't a huge gain but you can get like 5-8 hp out of a cold air

On a dodge viper maybe. You're lucky to see 2whp from an intake on any civic.

OP, what's your budget? The R18 has a single exhaust port, which makes it perfect for a turbo system. Turbochargers actually have a mild muffling effect, so you could run a 2.5" exhaust system with a quiet muffler and still not be making much noise.

As far as your original question, yes, you can install an intake for a very small gain (though you should be aware that it will make the engine louder), and yes, you could have it tuned with either a chipped pcm or a piggyback. Tuning a stock engine doesn't seem cost-effective though.

Brock_10 11-26-2009 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by reaper2022 (Post 684904)
On a dodge viper maybe. You're lucky to see 2whp from an intake on any civic.

Thats what I was thinking too.
I sure didn't get 5 to 8 HP when I put my CAI on my civic lol.

in my dreams maybe.

Texas92CIvIc 12-04-2009 04:50 PM

I would upgrade your ecu possibly a bigger throttle body? <<<<<might cause you to need further uprages.

JOLLYrokker 12-04-2009 10:47 PM

i think you have the wrong idea about exhaust.

if your talking about the annoying fart can cars, thats either a cheapo exhaust, or someone cut off the stock muffler and pu on a big one. whilst keeping stock piping(axleback muffler) if you get some headers, along with a mid grade cat back exhaust system, it will sound really nice. along with that, put on a short ram intake(not cold air, noone likes a flooded car, and there are NO horsepowergains, at least not noticable.) new plugs and wires is always nice for your car. also, you could free up some weight(wheels), there is alot of stuff, just depends on your taste and money

hondaguy65 12-19-2009 04:26 PM

If you don't want to change the sound of you car and don't want to get to envolved don't bother doing anything. A intake is a waste considering your not going to see any noticable change in power. A "chip" is not what you think its called a ecu reflash and since your obd2 its fairly easy for any dyno shop to do, but if you don't have any of the basic bolt ons your wasting money. My opinion keep it stock and don't waste your money.