HondaCivicForum.com

HondaCivicForum.com (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Internal (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/)
-   -   How can you tell if you have a bad head? (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/how-can-you-tell-if-you-have-bad-head-79730/)

Texas92CIvIc 12-01-2009 04:01 PM

How can you tell if you have a bad head?

I'm having some internal problems with a car of mine. Want to take apart the motor and get a look at the head, but before I do that I need to know what I'm looking for. Also, what are some characteristics of a car that has a bad head? Perhaps it can be diagnosed with out having to dis and re-asemble. Thanks guys. :confused:

cvcrcr99 12-01-2009 07:10 PM

Well, we would need a little more information, as there are a bunch of different reason which could consider a head "bad". Usually, it is just one part of many that could have failed causing the head to become "bad".

Are you overheating? Excessive noise? Low compression? What's the reason you believe that the head is bad? Characteristics of a bad head could be from something as obvious as smashed up valves (easily identified), or a warped head that's something like 0.03 inches off (you really wouldn't be able to tell that easily).

Texas92CIvIc 12-01-2009 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by cvcrcr99 (Post 685590)
Well, we would need a little more information, as there are a bunch of different reason which could consider a head "bad". Usually, it is just one part of many that could have failed causing the head to become "bad".

Are you overheating? Excessive noise? Low compression? What's the reason you believe that the head is bad? Characteristics of a bad head could be from something as obvious as smashed up valves (easily identified), or a warped head that's something like 0.03 inches off (you really wouldn't be able to tell that easily).

well, it has absolutely no acceleration....It'll pick up, but only if you drive it regularly(going the speed limit, not hauling ass, etc etc.) But once you try to give it some gas in which ever gear, it sounds VERY VERY clogged for some reason, like its struggling to get air. Once you take your foot off the gas, it'll pick up a little. In otherwords....the early stages of entering the highway, are very tuff, especially up hill.

94civichatchback 12-02-2009 11:06 AM

i suggest checking your timing, and also when have you done a tune up?

Texas92CIvIc 12-03-2009 11:45 AM

^^^^^^ been some years since I've done a tune-upski.

Plutmomsslext 12-22-2009 09:24 AM

How can you tell if you have a bad head

i picked one up for 250 ausincluding postageand it goes pritty well the only thing that has brocken is the e3000 starter that came with it. the e3000 starter is crapp dont ever buy it

any way who or whatis prior one and also the head on it keeps the engine pritty cool

Luke_Jones 12-23-2009 01:10 AM

I've had issues like that with acceleration. Couple things I would look into..the o2 sensor and/or plugged catalytic converter. Unfortunately neither of those are very cheap fixes, but the last time I had an issue with acceleration it was a plugged cat. And it had the exact symptoms you are describing...uphill was terrible.

A bad head would result in things like noisy lifters...or water in the oil due to a blown head gasket. Honestly unless there was some major damage to the head, I doubt its the reason for your problem.

AOL.COM 12-26-2009 04:39 PM

another posibility could be the timing belt jumped a tooth or two

Cryogenic SI 12-26-2009 05:46 PM

that was happening to me, but it turned out it was cuz my turbo was clogged by my breather valve which had got sucked in..cuz my filter fell off....>_<

which is a long story...but much lulz

supersize 12-26-2009 09:50 PM

correct me if im wrong but someone could have put somethign in your exhaust.. wouldnt that do that too?

Originally Posted by Cryogenic SI (Post 689207)
that was happening to me, but it turned out it was cuz my turbo was clogged by my breather valve which had got sucked in..cuz my filter fell off....>_<

which is a long story...but much lulz

Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha nobody cares