HondaCivicForum.com

HondaCivicForum.com (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Internal (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/)
-   -   how to read compression ratio (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/how-read-compression-ratio-33819/)

GetItBoy 12-03-2006 09:24 PM

how to read compression ratio

sorry for the noob question. but i see numbers like 10.8:1 and 10.4:1. and i dont kno wssup. i understand high compression and low compression. but i dont kno how to read it. can someone help me out? what is the first number. then the second. then the third number. supposed to mean?

the_turtle 12-04-2006 12:39 PM

RE: how to read compression ratio

you know...i really dont think thats a noob question... i dont know.. im just like you...i understand that 11:1 is higher than 9:1...wow..now it bugs me that i dont know...
try a google search, you might be able to come up with something...then post it here.

t34me 12-04-2006 12:48 PM

its all about atmosphere, now, my numbers might be off, but here is the general idea. The atmosphere we live in right now is i THINK 12lbs. Now, thats what the second number is ?:1, the first number is how many times the motor is compressing the static atmospheric number. So, if you have a 10:1 compression, your motor is acting like it has the wieght of 10 atmospheres being crammed into the CC to the one all around us. BUT, i could be a little off on my facts, so if i am, someone with a little more knowledge correct me.

GetItBoy 12-04-2006 05:54 PM

thanks for the replies guys.
ok. i think i see. its only two number. like 10:1

but i see numbers like 10.8:1 and 10.4:1.
the decimal in there made me think it was three numbers.

ok so if the first number before the : (colon) is high then the compression is higher, and if its lower then compression is lower.

the number after the colon, which is always gonna be 1 represents the weight of the atmospheric pressure.
the first number shows how many times more the air in the cylinder is compressed compared to the normal atmospheric pressure.

Misha 12-04-2006 06:45 PM

Yep, you got it right :)

zarembad 12-05-2006 07:37 PM

Also, The standard atmospheric pressure is 14.7 psia. This is pounds per square inch ABSOLUTE. If you see a reading in PSIG this is pounds per square inch GAUGE. The psig reading starts it's scale at 14.7 psi. So a reading of 26 psiG is actually 40.7psiA. The normal atmospheric pressure is negated in a psig reading.

sacicons 12-05-2006 09:36 PM

thats a really complicated way to explain it.

basically, its the ratio of the volume of the cylinder when the piston is all the way down to the volume when the piston is all the way up. if the cylinder has 100cc of volume at bottom dead center (lowest point), and 10cc at TDC (highest point), then you have a 10:1 ratio.

and for the record, most pressure readings are in gauge, and 0 is atmospheric pressure.

zarembad 12-05-2006 10:24 PM

Sorry, but atmospheric pressure is not 0. For a person who actually knows what volumetric efficiency is, I would expect more.

the_turtle 12-06-2006 10:50 AM

thats a really complicated way to explain it.

basically, its the ratio of the volume of the cylinder when the piston is all the way down to the volume when the piston is all the way up. if the cylinder has 100cc of volume at bottom dead center (lowest point), and 10cc at TDC (highest point), then you have a 10:1 ratio.
sacicons= freakin' genious! I wish i knew random facts like that!

Kedawei 12-06-2006 03:15 PM

Edit, quick reading ftw. I'm not sure what sacs is saying.