HondaCivicForum.com

HondaCivicForum.com (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Internal (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/)
-   -   I got some [ok a lot of] swap questions (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/i-got-some-%5Bok-lot-%5D-swap-questions-27615/)

Mr Mobsta Man 08-21-2006 01:13 AM

I got some [ok a lot of] swap questions

I want to do a engine swap and I realy think I want a k20a but i dont have 5-6k laying around so thats not possible right now. My questions are:

1. The engine that I have [I have to look, i dont know what it is right now (97 Civic EX)], is it going to be worth anything that I can sell it for after I do the swap so I can try and make some money back? (about 150,200 miles on it right now, no problems that I know of)

2. What would be a good engine to swap with, I would realy love to have 200+hp but I think that might be out of my price range. Plus one that comes ready to use i.e. new ecu, manual tranny... all the stuff I will need.

3. How much would labor adverage to have a shop do the swap for me?

4. Will it make my car worth more?

5. When the swap is done do i set the milage to the new engines mileage or leave it alone?

[2 new questions] (+ I'm going to search to find some answers im sure some of these have been answered before)

6. Would a h22 be a good engine swap, what kind of hp do they have stock?

7. I saw people saying that some engines are harder to swap then others, what has to be changed to get the engine to fit, is the labor for that going to kill me?

I will probably have more questions later and I will not be doing this for a while because the money isnt here right now, I'm still working on what my car looks like right now. (looking borderline ricey right now)

Thanks to anyone that will help!

E2EK1EL 08-21-2006 02:10 AM

RE: I got some [ok a lot of] swap questions

Well I have a little info for you, first you may need mounts for swaping another engine in there. Second the H22a has 220hp stock. Look it up here man.

http://www.geocities.com/honda_club_egypt/engines.htm

mentaldis0rder 08-21-2006 05:06 AM

getting ur $$$$ back on custom cars is rough.. your only going to get what someones willing to pay.. most people have to get a loan .. so for a bank to approve someone for that loan they go to www.nada.com for what its worth.. i am unsure if banks allow more money on cars that have been reappraised though at a higher value.. if u just want numbers for as cheap as possible.. you can build urself a turbo kit for around 1k.. then get it tuned for 200whp.. labor and tune with turbo kit should be no more than 2k or so..with a good tune even with those miles it should run reliable depending how you beat on it.. then at a later time you could sink another 1-2k into that engine and get it rebuilt and retuned for even higher numers.. from what i have seen through www.evans-tuning.com you can hit upwards of 300whp on a built d16..swaps unless you find a used USDM with higher miles and do the work yourself.. you will pay at least 3k or more to get numbers you are looking for..GSR JDM swaps cost 3200 usually shipped.. then depending where you get it from you need axles, shift linkage, mounts, harness.. and will probably want to replace the clutch upon purchase as you dont know what condition it is in and will be more work down the road to replace it vs doing it before you install..same with water pump etc.. ignition.. gaskets.. fluids.. plus figure most places qouted me around 600-800 to do the install.. its all in what you want in the end and what you wanna spend.. hope my .02 sense helps

Mr Mobsta Man 08-21-2006 01:07 PM

Thanks guys that helps a lot, but it looks like I have a lot of research to do but its not a problem because I am still spending money on looks so I have some time to do it and make the right choice for me. Oh and if a h22a has 220 stock what makes the k20 better?

Nail I3unny 08-21-2006 02:09 PM

ORIGINAL: Mr Mobsta Man

I want to do a engine swap and I realy think I want a k20a but i dont have 5-6k laying around so thats not possible right now. My questions are:

1. The engine that I have [I have to look, i dont know what it is right now (97 Civic EX)], is it going to be worth anything that I can sell it for after I do the swap so I can try and make some money back? (about 150,200 miles on it right now, no problems that I know of)

2. What would be a good engine to swap with, I would realy love to have 200+hp but I think that might be out of my price range. Plus one that comes ready to use i.e. new ecu, manual tranny... all the stuff I will need.

3. How much would labor adverage to have a shop do the swap for me?

4. Will it make my car worth more?

5. When the swap is done do i set the milage to the new engines mileage or leave it alone?

[2 new questions] (+ I'm going to search to find some answers im sure some of these have been answered before)

6. Would a h22 be a good engine swap, what kind of hp do they have stock?

7. I saw people saying that some engines are harder to swap then others, what has to be changed to get the engine to fit, is the labor for that going to kill me?

I will probably have more questions later and I will not be doing this for a while because the money isnt here right now, I'm still working on what my car looks like right now. (looking borderline ricey right now)

Thanks to anyone that will help!
1. little if nothing. the d16y8 is a very sought after engine for people wanting to stay stock, but even honda engines lose their value as the miles pile up, even if they can and will last to over 200k easy with good maintenence.

2. you have a few choices for engine swaps. first, theres the b16a. i tend to steer people away from this one just because it gives you 10 ft-lbs over stock, so while giving you 160hp you're still sitting at 118 ft-lbs, and the term 'no replacement for displacement' comes to mind. then you have the b18b. its just as cheap if not cheaper than the b16a, puts out less power but sits on about as much power as torque (140ish). third (and my personal favorite) is the GSR (b18c1). it puts out 175hp and is a lot like the b16a, but the thing that gives it more power is displacement, which gives it torque, and with the same peak power it gets more power. it also takes extremely well to mods. a cold air intake is good for a good tenth or two of your quarter mile. on 6psi from a t3 turbo will put out 265ish horsepower at the crank, which translates to 240ish?? at the wheels. next you have your H swaps, i cant give you much info on them, but a USDM H22 will put over 190 to the wheels on just bolt ons (IE intake, header, exhaust, cam, cam gear) and sits on a lot more torque than any B ive mentioned. theres more swaps that arent as popular but you can research those yourself.

3. labor for a swap will run anywhere from 250 to 1 grand, depending on the shop, time it takes, and if you know the people.

4. no. if anything it will make it worth less

5. leave it alone so you know how much is on the chassis.

6. yes, but again i know little about the engine itself. its a direct swap as far as i know, but you may have to do an OBD conversion and you have to change at least one mount

7. the swap itself should be fairly straightforeward, but get as much engine work done as possible right away because the H22 is a bitch and a half to work onwhile its in the car.

E2EK1EL 08-21-2006 02:17 PM

The K20 Has much more torque then the h22, i think h22a=163tq and the k20 is over 200 tq

Nail I3unny 08-21-2006 02:23 PM

its not worth it in an EK. dollar for dollar an H22 will run laps on a K20.

Mr Mobsta Man 08-21-2006 08:30 PM

yea from what i have seen, 2-3k more for a little more torque, no thanks

ef4life 08-21-2006 08:35 PM

ORIGINAL: Mr Mobsta Man

yea from what i have seen, 2-3k more for a little more torque, no thanks
its not just the torque that makes a k series better, its the entire engine, it was designed to make crazy power na. people are pushing over 230whp with just cams and tuning, while no other honda engine can touch that na without doing a lot to it internally. the head can flow crazy amounts of air, and is a good engine to boost too, just a lot harder because the manifold is in the back. it has a 6 speed tranny option unlike any other civic. and i think it is acutally lighter than a gsr swap (don't quote me on that)

Mr Mobsta Man 08-21-2006 08:40 PM

Yea dont get me wrong, k20 would be my ideal swap but I don't think I will have that money anytime soon with what I'm making from a part time job. And i looked at my engine today, d16y8, do you guys know if its got vtec or not?