Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

I know my options but help me out

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2005, 11:05 AM
Default I know my options but help me out

Alright heres the deal... now that i have a some extra money comming in now im looking in to beef up the Civ.

So this is what im working with 1995 Honda Civic EX 2 Door.
D16Z6 V-TEC with about 120,000 miles
Pulleys and intake so far.

now i wanna like any other honda lover gain more power.

now my question is do it Build up the D16 and boost it?
or do i Swap and build that with no boost? But with the swap i would be faced with the not so difficult choice of doing a trans swap because sad face i am running a Automatic.

Mind you i wont be doing any of the internal or swapping if it comes to that myself, i dont have the knowledge to do it properly and i dont have a backup car incase anything goes wrong.

so the mech. fee's of building steps at a time vs. the mech fee's of doing the swap what should i look more into doing?

i mean there are some Engine stuff i can do... intake mani, TB, headers but anything internal would be way outta my league..so help me out fellas

Old 12-06-2005, 11:30 AM
Default RE: I know my options but help me out

i would say stick with the d, because you would spend all of your money on the swap and not have any money to modify it. a greddy or apex turbo kit is a good addition, or build your own. you could also buy a head package from exospeed or gude, it offers plenty more power and can set the stage for more power in the future if you would go high compression, or boost it.

Old 12-06-2005, 01:50 PM
HCF Member

I like swaps more because I don't like the idea of waiting for a turbo to spool. They're way more expensive though. Ever consider a supercharger?

Old 12-06-2005, 04:37 PM

Of course i would consider a supercharger, its a great choice and plus why not because my honda would be unique becuase usually when you think import you directly thing most likley turbo. Adding a supercharger would make people be like shhit didnt see that one comming.

But the thing is i wouldnt just throw a supercharger on, because my egine being so old i wouldnt want it to well basically just explode and fall apart on me.
I mean either way it will cost me a lot of money either building up the d with either a SC or turbo or swapping it out.

Old 12-06-2005, 07:21 PM
HCF Member

Old? What you tryin' to say? I have a '94 with 150k+ and a SC and it runs like a champ. If you can do an IM you can install a SC.

How much "extra" money we talkin' about? Also, what are your power goals? Up to ~ 180Hp the D would probably be cheaper; much more than that and you are gonna have to swap.