Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

I Need to beat 5.0's

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2006, 10:49 PM
Default I Need to beat 5.0's

Alright I've got a problem, ever since my cousins' and I turned 16 (I'm 18 now) we've had a bit of rivalry, they have 5.0 mustangs and I have a 1996 civic ex coupe 5 speed, and I need to beat them. they are constantly making fun of me cause' I drive a civic, even my uncles make fun of me cause' I was born into a family that is all about domestic muscle. So I need to beat them, I need to show them up and tear them up off of the streets. so I'm asking everyone here in the forums for ideas and tips to make my civic run faster than 14.2 quarter mile and the best ways to do that. I'm tired of coming in last all the time, help me out would you guys?

Old 04-12-2006, 11:05 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: I Need to beat 5.0's

IC, well they definitely got you on displacement, but that’s never held a good civic back. Depending on your budget you have a couple of options. A good B series engine swap with bolt-ons could put you in the 14's maybe 13's, but will set you back like 2-4k. Turbo charging the stock single cam can get you the same times for about 1 grand, there are a couple of guys on this forum like Pete who have good experience in the turbo charging field. Or any of these combinations with nitrous is a short term option, but more temporary option. It all depends on your budget and goal.

Old 04-12-2006, 11:09 PM

Or you do both a swap and Turbo like me and you can laugh your *** off as you beat them by over a second. Boost your D is the cheapest way to go.

Berz out.

Old 04-12-2006, 11:12 PM
HCF Member

I agree with Berzeker, if you got the money a boosted B-series like his would be unstopable.

Old 04-12-2006, 11:33 PM
HCF Member

Dude, Id boost your current motor. Get something like a Greddy kit, and get it tuned for about 200whp, and I guarantee you will beat that mus, hhmmm, rustang. Look on ebay to get the kit for under $2k, then the tune will run roughly $500. At the end, you will be glad you did it.

Old 04-13-2006, 12:33 AM

^+1 ROCK THE D!!!!!!!!!!! kill them with a 1.6L

definitely do some head work and look into getting it turboed. prolly the cheapest way to go.

Old 04-13-2006, 06:28 AM
HCF Member

Budget is the only hurdle here. How much do you have to allocate to beating Mustangs?

Old 04-13-2006, 08:42 AM
Stinky Administrator

your saying you want to run faster than a 14.2 is that all your cousin is running get a turbo kit and go kill his slowstang if money allows good luck

Old 04-13-2006, 09:01 AM
Recognized HCF Member

i would get some pistons, rods, some fuel manigment, turbo kit a nd a good tune and you will be running probably like 4-5 seconds faster than there mustangs on 15 lbs and pulling them like crazy

Old 04-13-2006, 12:59 PM

Your not really going to escape the laughter even if you do win a race. Even if you do beat them, they will still make fun of you for being FWD, and also spending all that money just to break even with them. IMO Just do what you want with your car, and be happy with it. Comparing apples and orange will always work out to whoever has the bigger number, and in this case, your probably not going to change anyone's opinion.

In all honesty, their motor is better designed for racing than yours. If your set on racing them, make sure it's from a roll. Anticipate them to jump the gun a little on the countdown, and make sure you set a clear rule for victory.

If you are still dead set on beating them, I would look into N/A tuning and nitrous (Best replacement for displacement IMO). Thats probably going to be your best, cheapest, and safest way to have a daily driven car that will smoke your families mustangs.

Quick Reply: I Need to beat 5.0's