HondaCivicForum.com

HondaCivicForum.com (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Internal (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/)
-   -   I need help please! (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/i-need-help-please-33909/)

wollooko 12-05-2006 12:58 AM

I need help please!

Hello everyone,

First of all i want to say that i am new and im very proud to be part of a community such as this one. I have learned so many things so far but i still have one question and didnt find any post yet!
I have a 99 Civic EX Coupe with the D16Y8, my first car was a 95 Civic EX Sedan with the D16Z6. Im looking to get a turbo system for my vehicle now since i have all the exterior and interior done. After talking to a mechanic close to my bodyshop, he told me that the SOHC engines would hold a turbo better then the DOHC engines before they break. My currently engine has 93K on it, but it has been well kept since i bought the car with 75K,oil changes are made every 2,500 Miles together with the oil filter! Sparks plugs every 5K and i just had the 90K maintance done on the vehicle according to the HONDA SERVICE GUIDE! Should i keep this engine and put a turbo on it or go with the old D16Z6, i would have to look for one around with a good milage but im thinking that if i do get a D16Z6 i would spend more time opening the engine and starting inside to the outside! He try to explain something about the D16Z6 being better to put the turbo then the D16Y8, but i didnt understand so i came over here to seek for some help. Im looking to put a complete turbo system, headers, compressor, intake manifold, intercooler, basicly the whole set.

Should I keep the D16Y8 and put the turbo on it, or get a D16Z6 and work on it from inside out changing all seals and rubber ans stuff?
If i had both engines with the same milage, lets say 60K, which one is the best engine to put a turbo on it?
What would be a nice set of turbo to throw on a Civic engine like that?

Thanks everyone and I hope to get answers from you guys!

natecivic92 12-05-2006 07:21 AM

RE: I need help please!

d16z6 cause the block is better.

the_turtle 12-06-2006 10:54 AM

D16Z6 and work on it from inside out changing all seals and rubber ans stuff
you better plan on changing more than just rubber, and gaskets!

Forty04 12-06-2006 11:00 AM

ORIGINAL: natecivic92

Not true at all. If you're referring to the bottom end oiling issues, this can be resolved by simply buying a new y8 fuel pump, and boring out the ports.

The main advantage I've seen for the z6 over the y8 is the head, is that the timing in the y8 is a bit of a bitch to tune, but not impossible provided you use someone with experience. Even when it's perfectly tuned however, it's still a tempremental little bastard. With the z6 you can squeeze out more reliable power, and you won't have any hesitations at vtec crossover and things like that.

wollooko 12-07-2006 09:27 AM

ORIGINAL: Forty04

ORIGINAL: natecivic92

Not true at all. If you're referring to the bottom end oiling issues, this can be resolved by simply buying a new y8 fuel pump, and boring out the ports.

The main advantage I've seen for the z6 over the y8 is the head, is that the timing in the y8 is a bit of a bitch to tune, but not impossible provided you use someone with experience. Even when it's perfectly tuned however, it's still a tempremental little bastard. With the z6 you can squeeze out more reliable power, and you won't have any hesitations at vtec crossover and things like that.
Forty04, do you mean buying a new oil pump or fuel pump? And in case of gettin a Z6, i would rebuild the engine and the mechanic said he could something about the oil issue, idk wut it was that he was going to do about it!

Remmy 12-07-2006 04:23 PM

I diasgree with the D series being better for turbos.

Kedawei 12-07-2006 07:39 PM

I agree in terms of cost per hp. In terms of engine efficiency, no.

kman92civicsi 12-07-2006 10:37 PM

dude go with the z6 they kik ass. i ahve one in my ride im gunna turbo it for the summer!

ScoobyAddict14 12-08-2006 08:56 AM

go with the z6 head and the d16y8 bottom. this will save you money in the long run and you will have a sweet d series engine to go off of.

Forty04 12-08-2006 10:21 AM

ORIGINAL: wollooko
Forty04, do you mean buying a new oil pump or fuel pump? And in case of gettin a Z6, i would rebuild the engine and the mechanic said he could something about the oil issue, idk wut it was that he was going to do about it!

Haha, my bad, I meant a new Oil Pump