Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

I think I scared myself out of ls/vtec and turbo

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 01:00 PM
HCF Member
Default I think I scared myself out of ls/vtec and turbo

just got done doing some extensive research on an ls/vtec conversion, and turbo'ing my car. I was planning on doing one of the two, or both eventually. But they just seem like a pain. From reading about them, it just seems like they will cause me more problems then good.

The ls/vtec conversion looks worse then the turbo. According to a very detailed write up for a reliable ls/vtec conversion, you need a new water pump, timing belt, and all of the obvious stuff like the head and cams, and a bunch of other things and it seems like it would cost an equal amount to turbo my car as it would to do an ls/vtec swap.

not to mention that it appears as though there are more problems to arise in the ls/vtec conversion than turbo'ing.

what the heck, maybe I'll just turbo it. No way in heck I could build a turbo kit or install it, so I would have to take it somewhere and have them do it. Any one have any ideas on how much parts and labor would cost to turbo my car?

Old 11-05-2007, 01:03 PM
Recognized HCF Member
Default RE: I think I scared myself out of ls/vtec and turbo

i would do a b18b obd1 swap with a turbo and call it a day with a tuned motor pushing 275whp

Old 11-05-2007, 01:39 PM
HCF Member

+1 one the b18b and plus 275whp is pretty damn good and of course less expencive

Old 11-05-2007, 01:41 PM
Recognized HCF Member

ya ive thought about the same thing.LOL

turboing it RIGHT costs alot of money.....
tho dont get me wrong id LOVE TO HAVE A TURBO SETUP.... BUT for all the parts and TUNING..... well i dont think i could find any GOOD tuning shop..... hard to just TRUST a shop.....

Old 11-05-2007, 02:06 PM

it would cost you minimum 5G's to just do a turbo. 3k for the turbo, a couple hundred for the other parts, depending on whta you need. then another 100 for the install and possibly 500 for a tune if it's not part of the install. all prices are EST. but thats about it.

Old 11-06-2007, 12:27 AM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: warner_ro

it would cost you minimum 5G's to just do a turbo. 3k for the turbo, a couple hundred for the other parts, depending on whta you need. then another 100 for the install and possibly 500 for a tune if it's not part of the install. all prices are EST. but thats about it.
It depends on how much he wants to build the engine if he does at all. I hope you mean 3K for the entire turbo kit, even then 3K is pushing it, you can peice a nice one together for half that. And if you mean 3k for the turbo alone well thats insane, maybe for an overpriced GT60 2,000hp turbo. 2 grand you can have a turbo B18B. To the OP, really there is **** loads of info out here on the net, you can read for 2 months and be able to put together your own turbo kit and install it. Tuning, well leave that to a tuner.

Old 11-06-2007, 05:36 AM
HCF Member

I'm doing an Ls/Vtec Turbo Build right now and you're right if you don't want to take the time and money to build it right then it will turn out to be a disaster. The motor is at the top notch machine shop right now. The guy I have building it has over 30 years experience and has done work on top fuel dragsters and pro stock bikes so I have full confidence in the build. Its expensive very expensive but the way I've seen Ls/Vtecs take to boost is my motivation. When all Is said and done The total build including the turbo and tuning will be around 7 grand. But I also expect to be making around 350-400whp and it to be reliable also.

Old 11-06-2007, 06:44 AM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: warner_ro

I turbo's my d15b and had around $1000 in it total. Dyno'd at 175whp and 155wtq, and ran 14 flat in a full weight 98 sedan with power windows, a/c, power locks. Still got good milage too.