HondaCivicForum.com

HondaCivicForum.com (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Internal (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/)
-   -   Idling issue (b15) (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/idling-issue-b15-70862/)

zeplin 10-21-2008 01:07 PM

Idling issue (b15)

So I finally got my new engine in (horray) only problem is it's idling funny. Basically when the car starts it idles high, then slowly decreases until eventually (anywhere from 15-45secs) it dies. I can keep it alive by giving it gas, which is why I feel like it might just be having trouble getting fuel. Is there any way I can check this? Or do you guys know any other things that could be wrong that would cause this?

RonJ 10-21-2008 01:22 PM

Is the CEL ON?

Pressing the "gas" pedal gives the engine more air, so I think your IACV may be stuck closed. As this could be due to clogging with gunk, remove the IACV from the throttle body and clean it with carburetor cleaner (see forum DIY by Greddy_Civic).

zeplin 10-21-2008 02:22 PM

The CEL is not on. I'll look at the DIY thread and try that and update this thread. Thank you sir.

zeplin 10-23-2008 01:34 PM

Cleaned the IACV, still not running right. I don't know what could be wrong with the stupid thing anymore, I'm going to have to end up taking it to a garage :(

RonJ 10-23-2008 01:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by zeplin (Post 598890)
Cleaned the IACV, still not running right. I don't know what could be wrong with the stupid thing anymore, I'm going to have to end up taking it to a garage :(

You could try up adjusting the idle set screw, but you'll need to hook up an accurate tach to do this.

Attachment 24330

zeplin 10-23-2008 02:15 PM

Thanks RonJ, I'll have to get a good tach and try that. Is it possible that the timing could just be off? Like I said, it idles high then slowly dies, now when I try and drive it...it sputters a long like it isn't getting gas or something. I was wondering if a timing issue could be the cause? Just looking at every different angle before I get reamed at a garage.

RonJ 10-23-2008 02:24 PM

Yeah, with this new information, I think checking the timing may be a good idea. Also, when was your last basic tune up (plugs/wires/cap/rotor)? What year/engine Civic?

I agree avoid the mechanic until absolutely necessary. Just keep asking questions and giving more information. We'll eventually lead you in the right direction.

zeplin 10-23-2008 04:10 PM

Yea I'll check the timing tomorrow when I get back out to my garage. Question: how do you guys feel for the #1 piston? I've noticed I can't reach down far enough to feel it with my finger.

The car is a 95 DX, but the engine is from a 92 hatch. See I bought the car with a blown engine, and picked up a junkyard one and installed it. So I really don't know when it was last tuned up. I did buy new plugs a few days ago though, and the wires appear to be in good shape (no signs of dry rot or anything of that matter).

And thanks for the help, I hate having to ask so many questions because I feel like I'm not contributing to the forum, but I really am just a noob :o

RonJ 10-23-2008 08:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Yeah, it's possible that the timing belt slipped. After removal of the valve cover and upper timing belt cover, here's how you check whether or not the cam and crank are properly synchronized at TDC for piston #1:

Attachment 24325

zeplin 10-24-2008 12:08 PM

Quick question about timing. I've read you need to point the rotor button to the #1 piston. Now does that mean you put it just before the metal contact where the #1 plug wire is? Or am I not getting this? Anyone have a picture of the correct position the rotor button should be when the engine is TDC? I can't find anything via google.