Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Inherited 95' Civic could use advise

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 12:43 PM
Default Inherited 95' Civic could use advise

ehy everyone i am a mechanic and just inherited a 95' civic coupe, and figured extra car why not tune it for 1/4 mile since i already have a daily driver. But i am kinda new to beefing up hondas civics especially, so any help anyone can offer would be greatly apprectiated!!! Want to start with a good engine, manual tranny, and prob turbo.like i said any help in the slightest would be much appretiated and i thank u ( btw the engine is about to go so a new one is a must.)

Old 01-24-2008, 02:10 PM
Super Cereal Admin
Default RE: Inherited 95' Civic could use advise

I'd say it all depends on future plans and your budget. Do you plan on turboing the motor you get? How much money can you throw at the car?

If you have enough money for it, a K-series engine is definitely the way to go. Unfortunately, a K20a2 (the one you'll want) is something along the lines of $4k for the swap package, meaning closer to $5k when it's all said and done.

If your budget isn't really that big, I'd say look into either a B18b (it's not vtec, but it's cheap.. $2200 for the swap package) or an H22a (about the same price as a B18, but it's a more involved swap). The b18 responds extremely well to boost, but isn't as powerful/torquey as an H22 stock. A lot of people say about how H22s are dangerous to boost or the engine block isn't strong enough to handle boost. Personally, I say it's a bunch of bulls**t. I see a ton of boosted Preludes with stock internals, and they have no problems at all.

Old 01-24-2008, 02:53 PM

hey Reaper ok the way i look at it, the B18 turboed with some extras will runa bout the same as the K20 cost wise or the H22 turboed , no u got a turboed H22 A turboed B18 or a stock K20 if they have a kit for the H22 it wouldnt be a problem, i am a mechanic and i know people who can help on high end conversions if need be , kowing that which woulld u pick

Old 01-25-2008, 01:25 PM
HCF Member

The h22 has much better low end acceleration from what I've read in these forums. If you're building this for the 1/4 mile, I would think that the h22 is a better choice than the b18. I don't know how it compares to the K20 for low end torque. A turboed h22 would probably come out on top, though.

From what I've read, the transmission gearing choices for the b series engines is a lot broader and better than the the h series engines, and they don't mix and match. I'm actually thinking about doing a swap in the next 1-2 years, and right now I'm leaning towards an h22 swap into my crx. Another option you may want to consider is a b20/vtec swap. Still, I **think** the low end for that isn't as good as that of the h22, but I'm very uncertain about that. Can anyone confirm that? (or shoot it down [&:])

Old 01-26-2008, 06:31 AM
Super Cereal Admin

H22s are torque monsters. I believe it's 160ft/lbs of torque stock. Also, K20's aren't all that torquey. Sure, they make plenty of power up top, but you're not going to feel the torque pull down low (trust me, I've done research on RSX's ) like you will with an h22. Hell, I've heard people complain that they have trouble getting traction in the rain with an all-motor h22 swap. I kind of doubt you'll find a turbo kit for an h22 swapped civic, but you can always build a custom kit (provided you know somebody who could fab. up a turbo manifold). I'd think a Mitsubishi 16g turbo (from an evo) would be a perfect turbo for an h22.

Also, from what I've heard, the gearing on an h-series transmission isn't all that great. However, you can get an H2B transmission adapter, which lets you utilize a B-series transmission (meaning plenty of options).

Old 01-28-2008, 06:34 AM

While sitting here in Iraq, I have came up with an interesting conversion...i know it would be insanely difficult to accomplish i would need to do a lot of welding and prob call in some favors for help....i just kinda want to know if its even in the realm of possbility. My dad has a 89' Ford Taurus SHO ( with the 220 HP DOHC V6 Yamaha Racing Motor) which was also FWD.... i was wondering if it would be possible to fit that under the hood....probably just delusions from being in this desert for so long...hope its not too sacreligous...

-bill

Old 01-28-2008, 10:59 PM
HCF Member

I've read this so many times on this forum: "Anything is possible with enough money"

The V6 is going to be HUGE compared to the engines we talk about going into civics. It might fit into the engine bay, but you have to check out where the D-series mounts are on the block and where the SHO mounts are. You might have to fab custom sub-frame parts to fit your fabricated mounts and support that large engine. This car would basically be a taurus motor/ecu/tranny/axles/front wheels in a civic chassis...but I don't see why you can't do it.

See also:
1. Civette
http://carscoop.blogspot.com/2007/06...vette-ls1.html

2. Volvette
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2196921