HondaCivicForum.com

HondaCivicForum.com (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Internal (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/)
-   -   Installing a Camshaft Question (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/installing-camshaft-question-37793/)

Mr Mobsta Man 02-09-2007 09:02 PM

Installing a Camshaft Question

Ok I don't have a garage right now to do any work and I will be moving in a few months then I will have one so I'm trying to figure out what I want to do and how to do it before I move so I can have everything ordered and waiting to be installed asap after the move. I have about $1,000 to work with. I decided that I want to get 4-2-1 dc headers, Magnaflow catalytic converter, Greddy Evo2, and a Crower Stage 1 Camshaft.

I'm getting the stage 1 instead of stage 2 because I don't want to deal with tuning. I have a fewquestions about the cam install. First would be do I have tocorrect the timing after I install the camshaft or if I just set the engine to top dead center [TDC] before I start then I wouldn't have to worry about the timing being messed up? Second, I couldn't find a DIY install of one so to install it I would need to first set the engine to TDC, next slide the timing belt off the the cam gear [I'm hoping I don't have to take it all the way off],then remove valve cover, then loosen the valve train bolts in sequence, take the valve train off, then pull the camshaft out with the gear. After I have the shaft and gear out then take the gear off of the stock shaft and put it on the stage1 then install is opposite of removal. (torquing bolts down correctly) -- Is that all that needs done or is it more difficult than that?

Last question is would I benefit to upgrade the valve springs and retainers along with the stage1. I don't know how to install them and procivic.com gives them a 5 out of 5 difficulty to install. I was just wondering because I don't know if they will help the new camshaft produce more power or if my stock springs will be ok with the stage1 and not float a valve.

That was an extremely long post lol but I appreciate any help you guys can give me. Thanks.
Link to crower stage 1 camshaft

Mr Mobsta Man 02-11-2007 11:21 AM

RE: Installing a Camshaft Question

Damn, nobody?

Pete 02-11-2007 12:17 PM

Honestlyyoure not going to get much gains if you dont tune.

Mr Mobsta Man 02-11-2007 12:26 PM

Well is that expensive then, because if it isn't too bad then I might do it but if it costs a lot I'm not even going to mess with it.

I just did a google and finaly found a diy with the cam and springs so I'm not going to be able to do that by myself. I'm hoping that a stage 1 wouldn't need new springs and retainers. This is also a future 55 shot nitrous setup.

Nail I3unny 02-11-2007 08:46 PM

you can usually get an hours worth of professional tuning for 75-125 bucks

you will see very little gains with a stage 1 cam and you shouldnt run stage 2 without a tune

Mr Mobsta Man 02-11-2007 08:49 PM

Yea that doesn't really seem worth all the trouble. Thanks for the help guys.