HondaCivicForum.com

HondaCivicForum.com (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Internal (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/)
-   -   It's almost official... My engine is DEAD Help! (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/its-almost-official-my-engine-dead-help-2971/)

94VTECoupe 02-07-2005 08:18 PM

It's almost official... My engine is DEAD Help!

Okay, so after 210 thousand miles my engine all of a sudden isn't running right at all. It burns A TON of oil!!! We checked the compression after the oil was somewhat cleared out of the engine (since oil seals the rings and boosts compression a bit) and each of my cylinders had between 205 and 210 compression still, so that's good. This leaves it to point out that the most probable issue with my engine is that the valve guide seals are shot, therefore leaking oil into the cylinders. Yikes... That's gonna be a ton of work to fix that, not to mention the numerous seals I'll replace putting the thing back together. Now even though I know exactly how a 4 stroke engine works, I've never actually taken a four stroke apart before. I know that the labor would cost me way more than what I have to spend, so really, how hard is it to take the valves out of the car and replace the seals? I would probably put new parts on here and there while I'm at it since my car is high mileage, but I know this venture is going to cost me around $300 in parts probably. lol do you think I could do the work? I've worked on two stroke engines before for high revving nitro R/C engines (50 thousand RPM) and 650 jetski engines, but never in a car... Just for a little background info.

Okay, enough about what I think might be wrong with it, and here's what It's doing... It had been running poorly, I knew that, but I had to drive to school somehow. I drove it but everytime I start it up, my engine doesn't want to run right. In the parking lot after school I fire it up (usually it starts right up and settles into a nice idle) and it took a lot longer than usual to fire. When it did, a whole bunch of black smoke came out of the exhaust (probably because the injectors were shooting fuel in there when it wasn't firing) indicating it was running really rich. After I got that all cleared out of there, it would idle really rough and a whole ton of blue smoke would be pouring out (that's where the oil burning thing I'm talking about is coming from) I finally get the thing to the entrance to the street and by the time I get up to the 20 MPH speed limit the parking lot looks like it had a building recently imploded on it because there was so much smoke lingering around it.

What do you think? BTW, I'm sorry for the long post, but as you can tell I REALLY need to get this fixed in the most cost efficient way possible! Thank you!

slvcivic00 02-08-2005 12:06 AM

RE: It's almost official... My engine is DEAD Help!

Doesn't sound good. You probably have more than one blowen gasket or head gasket, and need to fix the fuel delivery system, be it fuel pump, filter or injectors. I am sure you could figure out how to pull the top of the engine apart and put in new valves if you have to, it will just take some time. Or I'm sure you could find a used D15 engine somewhere for like $500 if you just want to bag the whole project.
*Oh, and the 4 stroke process is 1:intake 2:compression 3:power 4:exhaust

Dickie 02-08-2005 08:12 AM

itd be way cheaper to go to hmotorsonline and buy a d16 motor. just reasearch and know what ure doing

94VTECoupe 02-08-2005 08:29 PM

alright I got the problem fixed and lucky for me it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be! Okay, I went to the gas station the night before it started acting up and put about 5 gallons in my tank to top it off (I get a free tank once a week) It turns out that although I used the same unleaded pump that I always use, when the trucks came to fill up the gas station, they put Diesel fuel in the unleaded fuel resavoir!!!! The company, however, is paying me for a new tank of fuel, geezle disposal costs, my new spark plugs, and the cost to get my tank drained.

sacicons 02-08-2005 08:39 PM

AHHH DAMN!!!! that sucks! at least it wasnt something too serious. and hey, diesel fuel can be a good cleaner for the top-end, its a great de-carbonizer. but thats way too much. like an ounce or two in a tank is ok, but 5 gallons sucks.

94VTECoupe 02-08-2005 10:39 PM

lol well at least I know my engine is clean now! That's good to hear!

sacicons 02-08-2005 11:31 PM

yeah, you gotta love the bright side, huh.:D