HondaCivicForum.com

HondaCivicForum.com (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Internal (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/)
-   -   Just bought a '95 JDM D15B. Want to know more about it. (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/just-bought-95-jdm-d15b-want-know-more-about-34811/)

curlybandit 12-22-2006 02:09 PM

Just bought a '95 JDM D15B. Want to know more about it.

I just bought a '95 JDM D15B motor and drove it to my buddy's shop. :D

I picked it up to replace the D16y8 I blew up on Wed, and themotor is going into my '96tomorrow.
Hopefully this motor will be in my car for quite a while (as long as I don't kill this one too...), so I was hoping to get AS MUCH information regarding this motor as I can. I've done all the searches for info and everything, but I hope that I can some great info from the D15B owners and otherwise.

Anything you guys can tell me about my motor will be great. Feel free to discuss anything, ie. specs, potential, building, boosting, etc...

Thanks.

Curlybandit.

Kedawei 12-22-2006 05:19 PM

RE: Just bought a '95 JDM D15B. Want to know more about it.

You interested in boosting?

If so, for a good budget build you might try a eagle rod/vitara piston combination, 0.020"/0.5mm over if you can find them. Vitara as in OEM Suzuki Vitara pistons. People are making 400+whp with them D16s. The pistons will sit out of the block 0.010"-0.020", but Bisimoto (engineer/Honda enthusiast) has confirmed that shouldn't be a problem. You might try using an Akmee cam and valvetrain with it as well. They have a holiday sale going atm, full set with cam for $525. I would like to build this paticular set up myself someday.

If you want to stay naturally aspirated, depends on the budget. Some decent street pistons (high 10:1 to 11's:1 comp ratio) come out of 01-03 USDM Civic Gx's (coded PMS pistons). You can pick those up through several OEM Honda parts websites for 30-40 bucks a piston. They're the only OEM N/A option that'll fit in the JDM D15B though, any higher compression and you'll need aftermarket. For the exhaust/intake components, some decent headers float around ebay, SMSP makes good custom ones, and Bisimoto may have some good ones out again someday (they've haulted making them for a redesign). Again it depends on budget. For cat backs and intakes I prefer them custom made. I'd reccommend the Akmee cam for N/A also (I like this cam).

Don't neglect the drivetrain either. Exedy makes well praised clutches, and ACT makes a decent lightweight flywheel for N/A (stock should be fine with boost). If you want a LSD OBX is said to be tried and true (cheap too, ~$400), and Quaife makes a unit that's unbeatable (about ~$900-$1000).

Kedawei 12-22-2006 05:26 PM

RE: Just bought a '95 JDM D15B. Want to know more about it.

And some general information about the motor itself. It uses basically everything the same as a D16Z6, but has different pistons, and is shorter stroked. The rods are identical to D16 rods. The head is the same as the Z6 (I'll dispell a rumor right here and tell you that the cam is no different in a JDM D15B than in a Z6), intake manifold's the same, etc etc. There are also several variations of the JDM D15B, which I really can't outline for you other than normal ODB1 and 2 versions, and then a 3 stage vtec version that is OBD2 (that is untunable so don't bother). Oh, and there is a non vtec version that I think was carburated.